Chapter 18

"The party yesterday..." Nate repeats quietly, knowing what his father was going to bring up with him.

"Of course the party yesterday. I get a call from the priest the second you stepped foot off those church steps, and not to mention you did not come home at all last night. I want to know where you were, right here and now." Nate's father demands, he looked like his eyes were about to pop out with how angry he was. 

"I-I had to finish an assignment with my friends, and I knew you wouldn't let me stay out late so I lied about the party because the assignment is serious, we need to have it finished by the end of the week!" Ryan says in sadness, a hint of intimidation could be heard in his voice. 

"What about your drunk friend then, huh?" His father questions, looking like his anger was no where near being gone. 

Ryan sighed lightly, looking down at the floor. "I-I was on my way home when I was passing by the church and saw a drunk person entering the building, I couldn't just let him do that so I followed him inside and brought him out. I played along with the whole friend thing to not start a commotion." Ryan explains, glancing up at his father, hoping that was an explanation he could believe. 

His father stared at him for a couple of seconds before letting out a light sigh. "You still have to be punished because you lied to me, you are going to apologies to the father as well. I want your phone on the dining room table right now, and you have to come home straight after school every single day. You can help your mother make decorations for the basement of the church." His father explains, now walking away from Ryan and going back into the kitchen. 

Ryan watched his father walk away before sighing, reaching into his pocket and taking out his phone, placing it on the table. "Here" Ryan says to his mother who was sitting at the table, and his mother nodded, taking Ryan's phone once he put it down. 

Meanwhile with Jake and Nate, they arrived at Nate's house. Right when Jake had parked the car, Nate rushed out of the car and walked up to the front steps where his brother was sitting down on the porch steps and the police man was standing off to aside, beside him.

"Are you the guardian of this young man?" The police man asks, obviously referring to Nathan. 

"Yes, yes I am" Nate answers, very quickly just because he was so nervous. 

"I saw this young man trying to steal clothes from the mall..." The police man continues to say which made Nate glance at Nathan with a glare on his face. 

"I am so sorry officer he won't be doing anything like that again." Nate reassures, looking at the police officer with pleading eyes. 

The police officers took a light sigh out, before looking past Nate at the boy who was walking up to all three of them, entering the conversation. "Oh- Jake, hey!" The police officer says in a bright smile, waving a little to Jake who was still walking towards them. 

Jake waved hi back before finally getting to them, he stopped right beside Nate. 

Nate looked back and forth from Jake, to the police officer. "You two know each other?" Nate questions, one eyebrow raised in suspicion. 

"Of course I know Jake, he's the chief's son. His father is one of the best cops in the whole department" The policeman explains in a smile, before turning his head to look back at Nate. "Make sure he doesn't do anything like this again or I'll have to take him down to the police station next time." The police officer says to Nate which he nodded to. 

As the police officer walked away, he patted Nate's shoulder in reassurance before heading to his car and driving away. 

Once the policeman was out of sight, Nate turned his head to look at Nathan and looked at him seriously. "What was so important to get that you couldn't have paid for?" He questions, not sounding angry, but he sounded more upset.