Chapter Seven

Stained Red Chapter Seven

Arriving at the diner where she was supposed to meet Kate, Natalie parked her car and got out, going to the back and getting Audrey's baby carrier out. She hoped Kate didn't mind her bringing Audrey this time. The baby-sitter said she had couldn't stay all day and had only agreed to watch Audrey long enough for Natalie to go to Isaac's hotel

When Natalie got inside she smiled seeing Kate already sitting at a table. Walking over to where she was seated, Natalie grabbed a high chair along the way. "I hope you don't mind that I had to bring Audrey," she started as she looked at Kate. "The baby-sitter said she couldn't stay all day, so I had to bring her."

Kate just smiled at her niece after Natalie had her in the high chair, "I don't mind Nat, I like getting to see the little cutie," she said as she reached out and ruffled what hair Audrey had.

Natalie was relieved when Kate said she didn't mind. "How are your kids?" she asked, deciding to ask how her niece and nephew where doing. It had been awhile since she had seen them.

Kate rolled her eyes at Natalie's question, "As good as ever but hyper," she laughed. "They are definitely Zac's kids."

At the mention of Junia and Shepherd being Zac's kids, Natalie chewed on her lip. With the old wounds Isaac was opening, she was feeling weird around Kate. She was beginning to finally hate keeping secret the fact that Kate's husband could be Theo's father.

"Then I feel sorry for you," Natalie shrugged as she came out of her thoughts. "I've heard horror stories from Diana about all the things Zac used to do."

"I heard those horror stories too, but I never believed them until I had Zac kids," Kate responded right as the waiter showed up. Giving her order off in no time, she got her usual. A ceasar salad and a water to drink.

Natalie made a face as Kate ordered. She honestly didn't understand how the woman could just eat a salad and still be full. When it was her turn to order, she ordered a burger and onion rings with a sweet tea. After the waiter left Natalie just sighed and relaxed in the chair.

"So," Kate began as she chewed on her lip, "How are things with Isaac? Whenever I ask Diana she seems sure you two will make things work and when I ask Zac he just shrugs and keeps playing his video games?"

Natalie frowned at Kate bringing Isaac up. She hated having to tell her friend that Isaac had filed for divorce. She hated admitting that her marriage was falling apart and that there was no fixing it. Even more she would hate it if Kate ever asked why.

"Isaac filed for divorce, I got the papers yesterday," she frowned more. "All I have to do is sign them and get them turned in so things can start and we can undo our marriage."

Kate looked away from Natalie, hoping she hadn't struck a nerve, "I'm sorry," she apologized when she finally looked back up and gave her a sympathetic smile. "I was kind of hoping Diana was right and that you two could make things work. Ten years is a long time to just give up and move on."

Natalie shook her head, "We aren't giving up. There has just been too many lies and Isaac can't take them anymore."

"Lies about what?" Kate asked curiously as she raised an eyebrow. She was figuring the lies were on Natalie's end but what could Natalie have been lying about that would make Isaac be so fed up with them?

When Kate asked what the lies were about Natalie looked down and was almost thankful that the waiter chose then to bring their food to them. Cutting up a few of the onion rings she fed them to Audrey who just smiled happily. "I think she loves these things," Natalie smiled trying to change the topic.