Chapter 18: Midterms

It's that time of the year again: midterms.

Ah, yes. It comes every year — that feeling of determination for some, a lingering feeling of doom for others. Shibayama is already bringing his japanese literature excerpts to practice, looking over them in the short times of break in between. Even Kuroo began looking over his calculus notes last night, two weeks before their exam.

As for the Nekoma volleyball club, studying is not the worst part of approaching midterms.

You see, in order for the volleyball players to attend the training camp, they must be passing all of their classes. A failing midterm grade is an immediate trip to the graveyard, because chances of passing is hardly salvageable after that. It's like signing your death warrant.

Midterms: It's a test of determination — of academic endurance.

Taketora, unfortunately, has the academic endurance of an earthworm.

"Don't you worry about me!" Taketora puffs out his chest. "I got a 50 on my last english test! 10 points higher than my last!"

"Your tone is braggy, but your words are sad." Kuroo says, crossing his arms.

"Show me your report card," Yaku demands, snatching the piece of paper from Tora's grasp. Suddenly, Yaku's face turned grim and disgusted— he looked like he drank of sour, expired milk.

"This is... the worst you've ever done." Yaku says darkly. Jun takes a look at the paper as well.

"Wow... It's so low, it's actually impressive." Jun says candidly.

Taketora's spirit is crushed into dust. He collapses on the floor, eyes cast downward.

"You'll be fine. We just need extra-long tutoring sessions." Kuroo says. Yaku and Nobuyuki nodded.

"What about you, Lev? How's your grades?"

Lev shrinks a little. "I'm passing all of it! Except for... math."

Yaku resists the urge to kick him — he merely narrowed his eyes at him. Lev laughs nervously.

"Lev doesn't do much in class," Jun comments. "His paper airplanes are pretty cool though."

Lev smiles, completely oblivious to Jun's backhanded compliment. "Thanks!"

Kuroo shakes his head like a disappointed parent. He shifts his attention to Jun now. "And what about you?"

"I'm passing," Jun says. Kuroo raises a brow skeptically at Jun and, with a scheming grin, he demands to see Jun's report card as well.

"It's none of your business." Jun says. "What are you, my father?"

Kuroo's smile spreads even wider. "Your smart mouth doesn't mean it's the same for your brain."

"They're at it again." Kenma says, watching Kuroo and Jun throw back witty retorts at each other.

"I have a feeling... that Kuroo's enjoying this too much." Yaku sighs with an exasperated look on his face.

-*-

Due to unfortunate circumstances, Jun finds herself in Kuroo's residence on a chilly Saturday afternoon.

Like a persistent uncle, Kuroo forces Jun to tutor Lev while Kuroo teaches Taketora. 'It will motivate Tora if you're here,' Kuroo said.

But here she is, lounging at Kuroo's couch as Lev and Tora are on the low rise table, focused on answering some practice questions. Kenma is alsso there, but he's too immersed in the game in his PSP (a boss battle) to join in on their conversation.

"You'll thank me later," Kuroo says. "We'd lose all the matches without these two idiots."

"I'm not even sure if I can come to the training camp," Jun says flatly. It's not that she doesn't want to come — it's more of a matter if her mother would let her come. She's... a fairly strict woman.

"You have to come, Amemori-san!" Taketora says. "It's a lot of fun!"

Kuroo nods in agreement. "You have to meet Bokuto, Akaashi, Fukui, — oh and those kids from Karasuno will be there too."

"Their beautiful manager...!" Taketora shakily slams his fist on the table, as if he couldn't contain all the giddyness in his system.

Jun failed to comprehend most of the names that they just mentioned. Personally, she's not too convinced of the idea. She thinks of the camp as an obstacle to hide her identity — less privacy meant that she could be at risk.

Kuroo notices the uncertainty in Jun's expression.

"And don't worry, we'll take care of you." He says.

And with that, the study session continues — it's not fun, but their efforts will pay off later, once Lev and Taketora attend the training camp.