Chapter 7: Practice

The practice promptly started with a spiking routine; the players lined themselves up on the court as Kenma tossed the volleyball to the upcoming spiker. Inuoka, in a burst of energy, sprinted up at the front of the net and hits the ball. He jogs back, Kuroo meeting him at the front of the line.

"Nice one." He said to the first year.

As for Jun, she stood safely on the sidelines of the opposite court, watching the practice unravel before her. Playing did not particularly interest her, but watching them isn't exactly boring — so she watches.

She watched as it was Kuroo's turn to spike; he's not as speedy nor bold in his movements as Inuoka was— instead they are languid, smooth, but well calculated. He swings his left hand, the ball hitting his palm with a loud slap, sending it over, landing just a hair within the sidelines. Jun was startled by the loud noise of the volleyball.

"Good one, Kuroo!" Nobuyuki says. Kuroo smiles confidently at him.

Next up, was Taketora. A deep frown rested on his face as he looked across the court.

Focus, he thinks to himself. He slaps both of his hands to his cheeks, as if to snap himself out of it. He sprints towards the front of the court and smacks the ball with sheer force — with just as much vigor as Kuroo's spike.

Unfortunately, it bounces outside of the court line. Kuroo frowns. Taketora, being the ace, has one of the best aiming skills in the team when it comes to spikes.

"Don't mind, don't mind." Yaku reassures the ace. He looked disappointed in himself, shaking his head lowly as he made his way back to the back of the line.

Right after the spike practice, the team commenced a three-on-three match, with Taketora, Yaku, and Fukunuga on one side; Kuroo, Kenma, and Inuoka on the other.

So far, Jun quietly sat in the sidelines of the court. Sometimes Nobuyuki would stop by and ask her if she needed anything — at one point Fukunuga also introduced himself formally to the visitor. Pretty much, everyone in the team was pleasant to her, Kuroo being a tiny exception to that statement. She's still not so sure what to think of Taketora. She could not make an impression of him, given his current mood.

Speaking of Taketora, he looked extremely determined when he sprints up to the front of the court. He swings his arm with great power as he hit the volleyball. It hurls towards Jun's direction.

Kuroo's eyes widened. "OI! WATCH O-"

THUD!

The noise echoed wildly throughout the gym. The volleyball fused with the wood wall, Jun quickly ducking by just inch. She heard the wood crack as the volleyball fell, the impact making a large, crater-like dent on the wall.

Yaku's face paled. Everyone was too awestruck to speak. They all looked at Taketora now.

"Alright," Kuroo says, after some silence, "club meeting. Now."

-*-

"So what's her name?" Nobuyuki asks Taketora.

Taketora grumbles, blushing, before saying her name quietly: "Kirimi Suzuki."

"Eh... even her name is cute." Yaku comments.