Chapter 11: Gym 4-A

"So... This is it." Yaku mutters.

Gym 4-A is no gym —it's a haunted territory.

No one, not even hardworking janitors, dare to step foot in it. The lone, abandoned gym sits right at the corner of the campus, exerting a dark, goosebump-inducing aura to those who pass by it.

"We're - we're really gonna do this, Captain?" Taketora's face looks a little pale. " This is all bescause stupid basketball team took our damn gym..."

It is the early morning after the incident, and Kuroo looks somewhat worn (a little sleepless, understandably). He manages a lazy smile and raises a eyebrow.

"You belive in that stuff, Taketora?"

"Of course I do!!" He says defensively. "Someone died in there."

"It's mostly just runors..." Yaku mutters, unsure of himself as he recalls what the past upperclassmen had told him. "But the story was that the archery club practices here on rainy days... And one day it was storming really hard..."

"During their practice, someone got stabbed in the stomach in a freak accident. Pronounced dead at the hospital."

Everyone looks at the doors of the gym with a grim face. Kuroo couldn't help but feel unsettled now, but he shakes it off.

"Come on now," Kuroo comes up to the door and reahes for the door handle. "We won't be champions if we can't practice."

As soon as Kuroo opens the door, a cloud of dust rushes past them and two large rats quickly scuttled out of the gym. Taketora screamed.

We're off to a great start.

Kuroo entered slowly into the dark gym, holding in his breath as he pats the wall blindly for the light. He flicked the switch.

In plain display, lays a gym that has been untouched for half a decade — the floors are matte with dust, corners infested with ants. The walls are filthy, stained, and covered with cobwebs. It reeks of rat pee.

With hesitation, all the members stepped inside the gym.

"We... have to clean all this?" Nobuyuki is dispirited. "I don't think I brought enough cleaning supplies..."

"Cleaning? I'll pass." Kenma has his hand pinching his nose, utterly disgusted.

Kuroo whips around and crosses his arms. "Not allowed. This is a team effort! Everyone will clean."

"Then how come Jun is not here?! Why does he get to skip out? You're playing favorites now?!" Taketora says indignantly.

"What? No." Kuroo says defensively. "Jun couldn't come today. Or maybe tomorrow. Or ever...He quit the team as of yesterday."

It is suddenly quiet.

"O-Oh..." Taketora scratches the back of his head. "That's a bummer."

-*-

The idea of Jun leaving the club sounds about right. Yeah. Kuroo is certain that the incident from last night probably scared her away. He understands and feels bad from last nights events— but now he is faced with new problems.

1. His verbal contract with Jun is gone. She will have to take gym class and report that she was given a wrong uniform. What will happen to Kuroo then? He may face suspension for his negligence, especially under their ruthless counselor.

2. This gym is impossible to salvage. It's horribly disgusting, and the whole team has been cleaning all morning with little improvements. It's as if the filth as permanently seeped into the fibers of the wood.