Chapter 28: Murder Time

Because of a rather restless sleep last night, Jun slept like a rock the entire day once they arrived back at camp. It's an especially hot, sweltering day... but corpse-like slumber sends a message to Kuroo that she slept well.

In fact, she slept a little too well. It's no surprise that she finally woke up in a time when normal people would finally go to sleep — 10 p.m.

But what struck Jun is that their room is empty — just empty futons spread around the floor. It would be fine to assume that they're all awake, and yet... It's also suspiciously quiet. The lights are turned off, and everything is dim except for the dull glow of the moonlight outside, seeping through the windows of the room. It suddenly feels cold in the room.

It feels as if... as if someone's watching her.

Cautiously, Jun rises up from her futon, eyeing her surroundings.

"Hello? Is anyone here?"

Jun never believed in ghosts. Or rather— she never bothered giving them a thought. Thinking about the possibility of their existence makes her feel uneasy, to say in the least. They're just stories — she convinces herself — just make-believe.

But the feeling of being watched creeps slowly on her is certainly not fake.

She grabs her glasses and places it on. As Jun turns her head to a corner — she sees a vague shadowy figure. She squints at it, trying to make out its shape, and then—

She hears the floor creak.

Jun shoots from her futon and sprints out of the room. She darts down the hallway, but her rapid steps aren't the only ones she can hear — the shadowy figure follows her, footsteps heavy and fast.

She takes a sharp turn and hides inside another classroom. Crouching right behind small shelves, she slaps a hand on her mouth.

The footsteps finally slowed down nearby.

Oh?

The runner huffs his breath and makes a frustrated groan.

"Guh! He's faster than I thought!" A familiar voice huffed. Is that... is that Bokuto?

Jun hears set of footsteps approach — but she recognizes that the voice belonged to none other than Kuroo.

"Y'know, now that I think about it... We never told Jun about this game." He shrugs. "He'll find out eventually."

And with that, the two captains hurry out of the area.

A game...?

No one warned her about some game where people rabidly chase you around in the dark. Jun gets up and, glances around the dim room aimlessly. Nothing unusual.

Exasperated and bitter, she sighs and leans her head back on the wall with a soft thud — and the sound of a paper crumpling.

Jun looks to the paper that fell — it's a flyer.

MURDER TIME

Objective: stab the victim indicated on the handle of your plastic knife.
The knife of the victim will transfer to the murderer, and they must stab the next indicated person on the knife.
Repeat as needed until only one player remains.