Chapter 2: Yuuma

On the night before her first day of school, Mika gave her one big rule: Stay on the down low.

It wasn't like Jun had intentions to break that rule the first place. Her goal was simple — to hold out in attending public high school to prove her parents she's well fitted for college. A patisserie academy would be ideal... But even just a simple culinary course in a public college would be fine.

But first things first. Get through high school. Easy breezy, right?

And if it means going through it wearing a boy's school uniform, then so be it.

The sun peeked just over the horizon, just a regular morning in Tokyo. Kuroo wanted the first hour eliminated already as soon as the morning of her first day. After he stopped by Kenma's house on his way to school, he stopped by another house as well.

Kuroo knocked on the door as Kenma busied himself on his PSP, briefly looking up before saying, "what are we doing here...?"

"Service hours," Kuroo said — almost begrudgingly.

"You sound like you have to help an old man cross the street."

Kuroo shrugs. "Might as well."

That's when the knob from the outside twists, and the door opens to Jun, who peered only through the small crack of the door. She eyed them, "yes?"

A feigned, polite smile stretches on the third year's mouth. "Hi, it's Kuroo. Y'know, from the other day. Do you wanna come with us? The train to school leaves soon."

"Uh, sure. Give me a second." Jun closes the door promptly and Kuroo can vaguely hear footsteps, then the sound of whisper arguments shared between Mika and Jun.

"Please don't bring those glasses."

"I need them! People staring at me directly makes me uncomfortable."

"You already have your contacts on! You look fine!"

"I don't care...!"

Kuroo leans over to Kenma and says, "Scratch that. He's worse than an old man to me. So stubborn."

At this, Kenma just nonchalantly shrugs.

When Jun opens the door again, she was in her uniform, cleaning the glasses with the cloth from her dress shirt. She looks up to them, blue eyes blinking tiredly at them before greeting them a small 'good morning'.

Then, comes silence.

For a moment, both Kuroo and Kenma couldn't will themself to speak — but for different reasons. Kenma was too busy suspiciously scanning this person, because hey, I think I ran into you before...but why are you...wearing a boy's uniform. The recognition wasn't just one-sided, however, Kenma is able to tell from the way Jun looked that he recognized him as well. But neither of them said anything.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, Kuroo is just dumbfounded at how pretty this kid's eyes are. It's sorta unfair how the gods decided to give him sly looking eyes, while other people have that, Kuroo thinks to himself.

"Yeah... Good morning." Kuroo says, and he slings his bag over his shoulder before they all headed to the train station. Kuroo walked first, Kenma closely behind, attention returned to the PSP while Jun kept a distance behind the two. Her eyes flickered to Kenma swiftly, then back to the road.