Chapter 12: A New Friend

Jun feels like a parasite — a leech — latched on her skin. Yeah that must be it, he's a persistent pest.

It's another regular day at Nekoma High.

Although she, with the softness of her features combined with her appearance as a male student, garnered attention from some girls in her grade. Most of them are too shy to approach Jun. You see, Jun mostly spends her day in quiet isolation. It's not lonely — it's her preference. To her classmates, she is a reserved individual. Rarely speaking to anyone in class.

Because of that, Yuuma-sensei misunderstood it as a cue to force some kind of friendship for Jun. He just couldn't find the right first year, or the right timing...

Until today.

This morning in particular, Jun suspected, Yuuma looks especially pleased with himself. Not a good sign. She sits all the way in the back corner of the class — not like it was her choice — all the seats at the front are taken by the girls infatuated with Yuuma, looking at him with sparkly eyes. Either way, Jun enjoys where she sat now.

"We have a new transfer student," He announces. Yuuma glances at his watch, "but it seems that he is running late."

Odd. Some murmurs between students are audible.

Rushing footsteps echo down the hallway. The classroom door slides open, and the new student frantically enters the classroom.

Except he is too tall — he bangs his head against the top frame of the entrance. Hard. He winces rubbing his forehead as he bowed slightly and slipped inside.

"So tall...?!" One student whispered to herself.

He is indeed tall, with a lanky, lean body. His hair is gray, parted neatly in the middle. His appearance is unique and distinct — it's apparent that he's not fully Japanese... His face remained scrunched up from the pain of bumping his forehead, but it soon left him.

He grins widely, "I'm Haiba Lev! Nice to meet you!"

"Why don't you sit right over there Lev — right beside Jun. Jun, raise your hand."

Jun quietly raises his hand, her palm barely above her head. Lev cheerily maneuvered through the desks (somewhat difficult because of his size) and settles himself beside Jun.

At first Jun didn't mind the new student — he was mostly quiet during class. But not much of a good kid, either. He asked for a pencil from Jun (out of politeness she did) and he spent the entirety of class doodling on his notebook.

When lunch break came around, then did Jun begin to deal with the human that is Haiba Lev. It seems that to him, lending a pencil is an invitation of friendship. So he tags along with Jun for lunch.

"Jun!! Let's eat together!" Lev chirps.

"Sure," Jun says hesitantly, unpacking the lunch that she brought with her.

"So tell me about yourself Jun!" Lev says amiably. He is far too loud for Jun's liking.

"Uh..." Jun's not sure how to answer the question. Her life is a constant identity crisis. "What about you?" She points her chopsticks to him. "You're the new student here."