{12} I EAT A LOT AND TALK TO MY FAVORITE JERK {12}

Start from the beginning

Mom then brought me a large plate absolutely loaded with her homemade cookies. I smiled gratefully and took them.

"How was your day?" she asked.

"This morning I had to rush early to school to give this new girl a tour. I wanted Annabeth to help me, but she said she wouldn't want to make Paul responsible for her skipping. After I showed the girl around, the day went normal until lunch. Annabeth wasn't there, which confused me a lot. Then during gym, I forced her to talk to me. We got in this small fight, but I thought we resolved it. Apparently not, though, because she didn't even stay for my practice, and wouldn't answer my calls."

It was hard to be sad while eating cookies. I managed to do it.

Mom cradled me against her chest, like she did when I was a little kid.

"Maybe things are tough at home for Annabeth, sweetheart."

"She already told me what was going on," I said.

"Then maybe there is other stuff happening with her. Either way, Annabeth is a strong young lady. She can handle it, but you will need to support her."

I smiled at my loving, understanding mother. She always knew what to say.

"Alright. Thanks for these, by the way. Want one?"

Mom grinned at me and took a cookie from the plate. She sighed happily. "These are pretty good, huh? I'm a great baker."

I smirked. "And humble, too!"

She giggled at me and kissed my forehead.

"I love you, Percy."

"I love you, too, Mom."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Get this, Perce, the doofus does it again! Yeah, I know, right? This boy six years younger than me waltzes up to me, asks for my number, and flirts with me three times."

I chuckled. I was on FaceTime with my older cousin, Thalia.

"Are you sure it was the same boy?"

She nodded. "I'd recognize those pointy elf ears and mischievous eyes anywhere. Plus, every time, this gorgeous girl would be laughing at him in the background."

"That's so weird, Thals. Maybe it's a prank?" I thought out loud.

"Probably." Thalia shrugged. "Still made my day. How's yours been?"

I groaned. "Don't get me started. It sucked, dude. Something's up with Annabeth."

An impassive, stony look masked her porcelain face.

I rose my eyebrows. "Do you know what's up?"

She shook her head sadly. "I've been...avoiding her recently," she admitted.

"What? Why?"

"Don't press me, Percy. I don't want to talk about it, and it's all that she will talk about with me."

"She talks about everything but her problems with me," I muttered.

I saw a small amount of empathy leak through her piercing blue eyes.

"Hey, Perce, it's alright. Nothing to worry about, I swear."

I chuckled sarcastically. "That's all anybody seems to say to me lately."

"I can relate."

My cousin and I locked eyes through our screens, and suddenly I remembered.

Thalia's younger brother, Jason Grace, had been kidnapped when he was only two years old, and Thalia was eight. Their mother had always had a drinking problem, but it got very severe after that.

"How's your mother?"

"My mother has been drinking a lot more than usual. Jason's birthday is coming up, exactly six weeks from tomorrow," she explained.

"Tell Beryl we all send our love," I told her kindly.

She weakly smiled. "Yeah, we'll see."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a few days since I last posted! Sorry about that!

How's your day been? I had a snow day even though it didn't even snow hahaha.

I wonder who the mischievous 14 y/o hitting on Thalia was...and who's that beauty hanging around with him...;)

Hope you liked this chapter!

Please leave a vote and comment the climate (General weather pattern) of your area!