Considerably more satisfied, I turn off the shower and step out, grabbing a fluffy baby pink towel and wrapping it round my body. It barely fits round my hips, but it'll do. I then inspect the clothes I picked out, instantly noticing my worst nightmare. A burgundy, rather revealing crop top. Great.

Not having brought anything else to wear, I put it on, not wanting to go walking across the hallway in a towel. It seems a little tight, pushing my boobs up and inwards, making them look larger. The black jeans I had picked up are by no means helpful in covering at least a little bit of my slightly podgy stomach, but I have nothing to deal with that at this moment. I'll have to live with it.

Taking the towel, I dab at my hair, drawing out the moisture while looking at my reflection in the mirror. The bruise on my cheek is a little less prominent than it was yesterday, but still very noticeable, with a tinge of yellow. Cuts and scrapes on my arms have scabbed over more, but are still very red against my skin. And to top it all off, my stomach is... Well it's just there, growling at me that it needs feeding. I look a mess.

Heading out of the bathroom, I brace myself. I can deal with Becca seeing me like this, but not Alec. And I don't even know if the idiot is still here, but I don't particularly want him seeing me either. It's not even as if I could just fetch a different shirt - Becca practically only owns these types of clothes. Either way, if I don't go downstairs and eat at some point, they'll start worrying unnecessarily, and my stomach will continue to sound like a dying whale, which actually gets quite irritating.

The whale cries are drowned out by the stairs creaking under my weight as I slowly make my way down. My heart is working overtime now at the thought of them being able to see all my wounds - and everything else - making me feel mildly nauseous. Pressing forward, my bare feet pad hastily across to the kitchen, where I here Alec's muffled voice on the other side of the door. He speaks in a hushed tone and I can't tell what he is saying - maybe I shouldn't intrude.

That thought disappears twice as fast as it came when Becca throws the door open.

"Ria! Come on, I just finished slicing the banana bread!" Hurriedly, she drags me by the wrist, almost causing me to kiss the doorframe in the process. She pulls my tripping form over to the table and yanks out a chair before depositing me on it right as I start to topple.

Within seconds, there is a slice of banana bread thrust in front of me. I must be gaping at this point, not having chance to process what just happened, only that Becca is resting her head on her palms while watching me expectantly. Taking a small chunk of the corner, I pop it into my mouth, attempting - and likely failing - to look anything but disturbed.

"It's good," I manage to get force out, my voice high pitched. However, she doesn't appear to notice this, as she continues to stare at me, urging me to eat with an unnatural smile.

Fortunately, Alec comes to the rescue, clearing his throat to draw Becca's attention. They look at each other intently for a few seconds, before Becca's smile drops. Uncomfortably, she fidgets with her hands in her lap, before mumbling an almost inaudible apology and vacating the table. As she begins to clean up from the baking, Alec sighs, opens the fridge and pulls out one of the many flasks, downing its contents and sending me a quick smile in an attempt to rid the tension. I could swear I saw his eyes flit downwards briefly. My insecurity soars. Maybe I should go change into something that would cover more of the abrasions.

No. It's only Alec. Get a grip.

Trying to seem more confident than I currently feel, I take more of the banana bread and start to eat, realising that actually, it tastes amazing. Hunger finally catches up, causing me to forget all decency and insecurity, scoffing the food in a manner that must resemble a starving bear. Whale sounds once again emanate from my stomach as if it is moaning in satisfaction from having been fed, yet I ignore them in a complete trance.

That is, until a familiar deep chuckle sounds from the corner of the room.

Fluid heat finds it's way up my neck, coating my face as I raise my gaze, and find a pair of obsidian orbs filled with amusement. Subtly, I place the remaining sliver of bread back on the plate, lowering my gaze and finding a particularly intriguing knot in the wooden table. This only encourages him though. He saunters over, turns a chair around and straddles it, draping his arms over the back of it. "You gonna finish that?" He asks, resting his chin atop his arms and grinning.

Biting my lip, I try to focus on getting my brain to function properly. "I'm full," I choke out.

"With less than a bite left? Sure," his smirk grows wider as he notices Alec walk further into view with shoulders tense. I raise my head to look him in the eye, scowling at him. "What? If you're afraid I'll judge you're eating habits, I won't," I raise my eyebrow, not really believing him but shoving the last bite of bread in my mouth anyway. "Well I think I already judged as much as I can. You eat like a bear."

I choke, my eyes wide and cheeks flaming.

He sighs, shaking his head and grinning. "Choke a little quieter love. It's not that big."

I gape at him, forcing myself to swallow the bread without dying in the process. To the side of me, I also notice Alec fighting off a smile, finding my predicament funny. Asshole.

And that's when my brain decides to kick in.

"Why you have to act like a massive dick? Compensating?"

His eyes darken as Alec unsuccessfully tries not to chuckle. The tightening of his fists does not go unnoticed, only serving to make my victory smirk intensify. He starts glowering, before turning to face Alec. The atmosphere becomes thick, with them both adopting a more serious demeanor than before. Alec discretely shakes his head with widening eyes, but I don't miss the subtle movement.

"Shall we get back down to business now? We've spent too long dawdling and the girl won't get to me herself."

Alec facepalms.

Confused, I send them both a questioning look. "Girl? Are you looking for someone?"

Smartass turns back to me. "Yes. She was supposed to arrive to me but something has gone awry. I actually find it hard to believe that you live with him and he had mentioned nothing," he raises an eyebrow and nods to Alec. Do I know this girl too? Maybe something bad has happened to her.

Still not following completely but feeling concerned nonetheless, I press further. "Can I help? Who is it?"

"A little girl. About 4 years old I am told. Her name is Emily Winston."

*****
Author's note

Dun dun duuuuuun!

What do we think about that??? 😈

★Please vote & comment★