Chapter 4

Adriana

Iridescent rays coat every corner of the guest room as I awake from yet another, usually rare, peaceful sleep. Through the intricate white lace curtains, I can see the pink and orange hue tinting the skyline, white clouds painted elegantly across the skyline in vibrant yellows and reds. It holds a certain otherworldly beauty to it; almost an unnatural perfection that I have yet to appreciate. Though, despite being magnificent and outwardly flawless in appearance, the scene is completely void of life, with not one soul in sight, be it a bird or tree.

Standing from the edge of the uncomfortable bed, I tiptoe across the room, over to the window. My hands grasp the curtains, pulling them apart gently to give me a clearer view. As I stand, I can now see the streets below, only the vague indication of life present, as it is still fairly early for most to be awake. My heart seems to hesitate as my gaze lands on Edmund's car next door, the vehicle reminding me of the past couple of days. Instead of admiring the colours of nature, I am now fixated on Emily; the way she always knew exactly how to irritate me, her excessive collection of pink clothing, her curious blue eyes and little blonde curls, her smile...

If I'm honest with myself, she never was that bad. It was Edmund that always sparked my anger first, not her.

Before Emily came along, everything was normal. Diana wasn't supposed to be able to have kids, so when she got pregnant, we were all shocked. We were a fairly happy family before that, despite me being adopted. Or I thought so at least. Edmund had always treated me the same way he does now, it was only when I saw how they treated Emily that I began to question it. She's only four, and already we can all see that she will be confident, kind, intelligent and attractive. I have to wonder whether my relationship with my parents is just because of me, that I'm nothing like her.

Maybe everything that's happened between me and Edmund is my fault.

Brushing the thought away almost as quickly as it came, I switch my attention back to the streets, my eyes following each curve of the pathways all the way to the far right, where they end completely as they come into contact with the forest. Unlike everything else, it's densely packed selection of shadowed greenery, giving off an eerie aura. It is impossible to see through the dark leafy canopies. It must be incredibly difficult to see in there; it's no wonder people don't really go in. It has remained untouched for years, it's existence practically ignored by everyone who lives nearby. It is obvious that people used to acknowledge it, as there is a small hut near to where the pathways end. When I had asked about it years ago, Diana told me that it was the home of a small family; a mother, father, and their son. She said that their son was drawn to the forest, and would go in for hours at a time. The villagers at the time, however, were fearful of the area, believing that it harboured dangers beyond the natural order, and that the boy was some sort of 'supernatural being'. In a fit of irrationality, they confronted the son, demanding to know why he travelled out there and what 'creatures' he was consorting with. He was unable to answer, and in their needless panic, he was chased away, into the forest, along with his parents. After this, they were never seen again, and nobody has set foot in or around the now deteriorated family home.

Nowadays, nobody believes the kind of mythical crap that people used to, and many feel guilty on behalf of their ancestors pushing the poor, innocent boy and his family out of their home. That is, if they believe the tale. Most have come to the conclusion that it was just a grounds-keeper's hut that never got knocked down. As for me, I'm not sure what I believe. I'd like to think that it was just a random hut, but I have seen how cruel people can be when they feel threatened.

Suddenly, my thoughts are abruptly interrupted, and I find my eyes drawn to the edge of the forest, not too far from the hut. Between two towering trees, I see a small movement, so small that it almost went unnoticed. Curiously, I keep my gaze locked between the stumps, although nothing seems to catch my attention. Why would it? Aside from the trees, the whole area is as lifeless as it gets.