Chapter 2

"Morning, Mace," the boy greeted his friend happily as she entered the kitchen.

"Why is your mood so good? It's way too early for that."

"I don't need to go to work today, and If I remember it right you don't need to either. So we can do something together! That basically already means that this day is gonna be awesome!"

Macey chuckled and started to make some tea. "Did you sleep well?"

"I slept better when you were still sleeping in my room, Kitten."

The girl laughed slightly, taking what her best friend said just as a joke, but she had no idea how serious he was. Macey also slept better when she was still sharing rooms with Michael, but she didn't want to admit that.

"It's still kinda weird that Calum isn't here anymore."

Michael shrugged. "He slept at Nathalie's most of the times anyway. The only reason why he didn't move out earlier was that he knew I couldn't afford the apartment without him, but now that I'm sharing with you it's not a problem anymore."

"Yeah, I guess. But even though he spent most of his time at Nathalie's it's still weird. Like sleeping in his room is weird, and that he doesn't eat breakfast with us is weird. We always used to hang out here, like all of us, but we never did that since Calum doesn't live here anymore.“

"You're right, but he just moved out a month ago, we'll get used to it. And we can ask the other's if they want to join us today? Calum and Nathalie are free, and Ashton and Luke can come here after work.“

Macey nodded and sat down on the stool next to Michael, carefully sipping on the hot drink in her hands.

Michael's eyes flickered to Macey's hands, to the ring, then up to her eyes. "How are you holding up, Mace?" he asked, his voice sounding calm, yet concerned.

"I'm fine, Michael, stop worrying so much."

"You are barely talking about your feelings with me, Mace, I don't know what is going on inside you. All our conversatios have been so... shallow. How can I not worry?"

The girl sighed and locked eyes with Michael for a short time, just to lower her gaze again immediately. "I've not been thinking about him that much lately..."

"That's a good thing!" the boy exclaimed, "Right...?"

Macey shrugged. "I guess."

She didn't want to tell Michael how guilty she felt. So she just drank her tea, whilst Michael was eating cereal, both keeping quiet.

This day will be a good day, Macey thought. She could finally take her mind off of everything, and actually spend some quality time with her best friend, without her mind racing over her dead ex-boyfriend.

Easier said than done when you like exactly that friend a little more than you wanted to.

----------------------------------------------
I just realised I've been listening to The Only Reason while proofreading this.