Chapter 13

And then...

Nya lowered her weapon.

Nadakhan narrowed his eyes, staring at her expectantly. "Nya." He growled lowly, eyeing the sword. "Strike me down."

Jay had turned around now, facing Nya. His face was twisted in both fear and confusion. "Don't do it, Nya!" He cried out. "He's going to trick you!"

Nadakhan thrust a hand back and sent Jay into the same frozen prison as everyone else in the room. Nya gasped in horror as his entire body froze, his face permanently contorted in a scream.

"There!" The sorcerer snarled, facing Nya again. "Now you have even more reason to hate me! Strike me down!"

"Why are you doing this?" Nya whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "This isn't going to resolve anything!"

"I don't want your pity and I don't want redemption!" Nadakhan barked. "Everyone I love is dead!"

He glanced around the room. "When I set this place to normal, everyone will turn against me. Don't you see the weapons in their hands?"

"I'll tell them not to!" Nya cried, dropping the weapon and walking towards him. "We can still make this right!"

"Foolish child." Nadakhan remained in his place, staring down at her. "I am not your serpent prince. You cannot turn me as easily as he."

"I don't care." Nya bit her lip. "I don't want you to die."

"I want to!" Nadakhan fell to the ground, weeping. "Why can't you understand? I don't want to live here anymore, if it means I will be alone!"

Nya's heart was breaking. "Nadakhan... I don't want to kill anyone... I can't do it..."

Nadakhan swallowed. "I know. It was too much to ask of you." He glanced up at her, tears spilling out of his eyes.

"I knew you were perfect for him the moment of your birth. You are brave and compassionate, with the true heart of a warrior. Just like your mother."

A tear fell down Nya's cheek, soon leading to her crying softly as well.

"Nya, I knew you wouldn't kill me. Even before I told you of my past." Nadakhan smiled weakly. "You're too kind to kill anyone, even in revenge. The prince is the same way."

"I know." Nya whispered. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't..." She shook her head and held out a hand. "Please. Just reconsider."

Nadakhan stared at her hand before glancing back into her eyes. He gasped at the sight before him.

It was the girl, only now she was clad in the armor of a samurai, glowing white. The sword was back in her hand and burning with a teal flame. Her eyes had changed to the same bright hue, and her hair was much longer, flowing underneath her helmet. Behind her, the teal wings of a great phoenix beat slowly. Blue-green flames were set around her feet, and clear water flowed from her eyes, like a fountain of tears.

"Maya?" Nadakhan whispered in disbelief, standing up. "Is that... you?"

The woman before him looked upon him with pity, her sad eyes glowing brighter. The faint trace of Nya's voice rang around the room, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Nadakhan." Maya's voice echoed throughout the room. The beating of the phoenix's wings, the roar of the flames, and the flowing of water had drowned out anything else. "Is this what you truly wish?"

"It is." Nadakhan breathed.

Maya handed him her sword. "My daughter. I am a part of her now. Please, my dear friend. Protect her, just as you protected my family in the past, even in death."