Chapter 10

"Kai!" Nya called out into the night, the wind howling past her ears and setting her hair loose from Pixal's intricate styling. She was riding atop Flame, changed back into her smithing outfit with only a fleece shawl to protect her from the cold. "Ronin, Cole!"

"Nya?" A weak voice called out her name, joined by a few others.

Nya gasped and moved towards the sound of their voices, almost driven to tears when she saw the three, no, four men that had come for her. If only they had known I wasn't in any danger.

"Nya!" Kai stumbled towards her, shivering. "That... horrible snake let you go?"

Nya nodded, wrapping her shawl around her brother. "His name is Jay, and... oh god, this is going to sound ridiculous." She laughed a little. "He isn't horrible at all. In fact, I..."

She blushed, thinking to herself for a moment. Do I really love him? Is that what I've been feeling all along?

Kai rose a brow, snapping in front of her to get her attention. "Hey, sis? We kind of have a situation here."

"Right. Sorry." Nya cleared her throat. "My point is, the castle is safe and there's plenty of room and food for you all to recover. It isn't too far."

"Well, if there's food and a warm bed, then I'm going with her." Ronin announced, moving to hug Nya. "I'm just glad you're safe."

"Me too." Lord Cole said shyly, placing a hand on the other man's shoulder. "This is Dareth, by the way."

Dareth waved hello. "I'm freezing. Can we head to this castle already?"

Kai scrunched his brows as they all walked towards the gates. "Nya... did you say his name was... Jay?"

When Nya nodded, Cole glanced at Kai. "Wasn't that the same name as the Walker boy?"

"The Walkers? Like the inventors-" Nya suddenly gasped in realization. "Oh my god. Jay the snake is Jay Walker!"

The group froze in their spots, shocked beyond belief. Everything began to fall into place as their memories all returned, like floodgates bursting open with a sort of golden light.

"Jay!" Cole cried out. "We used to play with him all the time! How could I have forgotten?"

Kai shook his head, tears filling his eyes. "He was one of my best friends growing up... Nya, he used to play with you all the time. Don't you remember?"

Nya almost fell to her knees in complete shock. Everything made sense now, her memories laughing and playing with Jay Walker, the little boy with sapphire eyes and freckles across his nose.

He was the one that introduced her to inventing. He was the reason, her past, present, and...

Future. Her future. I'm in love with Jay Walker. Nya thought to herself, tearing up with a smile. I've always been.

"That sorcerer lied to you all." The man called Dareth interrupted her revelation.

"Dareth, you're right." Ronin nodded. "No wonder why his story sounded sketchy."

"Story? Sorcerer?" Nya shook her head, confused. "I-Is he the one that cursed Jay?"

Kai nodded. "That's what it sounds like." He ran his fingers through his spiked hair, biting his lip in worry. "Oh god, what are we gonna do? We have to do something, right?"

Cole nodded. "Of course we do. He was our best friend. We can't let him lose to this sorcerer." The young lord crossed over to Nya and took her hands. "Nya, we need all the help we can get. How much time does he have left?"