Chapter 6

"So let me get this straight." Ronin started, eyeing the three visitors that came to his tent late at night. "Nya is trapped in a castle in the woods with a snake?"

Kai paced the floor in front of him. "Yes. And we're running out of time. I don't know how long she's going to last in there."

"Nya's tough, Kai." Ronin rose a brow. "Surely you aren't doubting her?"

"I'm sure he isn't." Cole responded for Kai. "Of course Nya is strong, but this monster sounds much stronger. He could easily overpower her at any time."

Ronin mumbled in understanding. "So you're coming to me because...?"

"We need strength in numbers." Kai quit pacing and faced the thief. "Please. We'll pay you anything."

"I don't need your charity." Ronin answered, straightening up. "If it's Nya in trouble, then I'll help you, no matter what."

"Oh." Kai blinked in surprise. "Well good. We're going to need to make preparations then. It's a rough journey ahead and the storm is settling in."

Dareth cleared his throat. "You know, if you don't need me to do anything else, I can get you whatever you need and stay behind..."

"Don't be silly, Dareth." Cole smiled, patting him on the back. "We need support. Although, you can make a run for supplies while we prepare a wagon." He reached into a satchel, hesitating before giving Dareth a large sum of coins. "Use it sparingly." He whispered to his servant, the only man that knew of his predicament.

As Dareth ran off, Cole turned to the other two men. "So it's settled then. We'll head for the castle at dawn."

"Dawn?" Kai shook his head. "I need to get to her as soon as possible!"

"I'd have to agree with Lord Cole here." Ronin placed a hand on Kai's shoulder. "Look at yourself, Kai. We all need to rest up, or else we'll never make it."

"She's going to be okay, Kai." Cole nodded towards him with a soft smile. "I promise we'll rescue her."

"Let's hope so." Kai inhaled shakily, glancing at the night sky. "I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm terrified that thing is going to eat her."
-
"Thank goodness you're here. I'm starving." Jay smiled at Nya, watching her step down the stairs carefully in her new gown, a simple periwinkle dress with white-laced sleeves that stopped at the elbow. He slowly took her hand into his clawed one, escorting her down the stairs and to the breakfast table.

He had drawn the curtains and allowed the servants to decorate, smiling as Nya marveled at the light room and bouquets of colorful scarlet roses. "These are beautiful." She breathed, picking one up by the stem and sniffing it. "Where did you get them?"

"There's thousands of bushes in the courtyards. Magical ones. They bloom year-round, even in the snow." He picked a smaller one with a short stem and walked towards her, brushing her short hair behind her ear and tucking the rose in. "There. It brings out your eyes."

Nya's eyes sparkled as she smiled. "Oh. Thank you." She touched the rose with the tips of her fingers, afraid to break it.

Jay clumsily pulled out a chair for her and allowed her to sit, crossing the table to seat himself. "Ah, I hope you like porridge..." He mumbled softly. "My tee- fangs were hurting me today, so I requested something softer. B-But if you want something else, Zane could make it for you..."

"There's no need. It sounds perfect." Nya lifted her spoon and began to eat, beaming after her first swallow. "This is delicious!"