Chapter 5

Nya hugged her knees as she sat in her bed, unable to sleep. The Lady Misako, a dark green wardrobe nestled in the corner of her room, had dressed her in a warm nightgown, but the physical comfort wasn't enough. She felt lost and afraid, even if she was surrounded by the servants that cared for her. Slipping out of bed, she decided her best option would be to walk around the castle and get her mind off of things.

"Where are you going, child?" The Lady Misako asked in the darkness, shifting towards her.

"I was going to walk around for a while, if that's alright." Nya answered nervously.

"Hm. Go ahead, but be sure to stay out of the master's chambers. Oh, and say hello to my little one for me, the teacup... Lloyd." She sighed sadly, scooting back into place.

"Lloyd is your son?" Nya asked. "I could bring him up here, if you'd like..."

Misako shook from side to side, as if she were shaking her head. "No, no, never mind. He must get his rest. I'll see him in the morning, like I always do, but..." She paused, shifting again. "It feels like forever. I wish I could see my little boy again."

Nya tilted her head in confusion, but nodded in understanding anyway. "I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do. I'm just not quite sure if I understand what's going on."

Misako hesitated to answer before leaning towards Nya. "To explain would only drive you away, and we... can't have that. Go find the master, Nya. His name... is Jay."

Jay. The name ran through Nya's head like an unforgettable song, repeating over and over. Why did it seem so familiar, and yet so distant? To place a name on the creature, however, was much more comforting.

Walking down the grand staircase, she curiously glanced up to the forbidden west wing. If she was to find Jay, surely he'd be in his chambers...

Eyeing her surroundings, she dashed up the stairs quietly and tiptoed into the west archway. A circular room with three closed doors met her eye. One in the center and two smaller rooms on each side. She slowly stepped into the center, unsure of which door to choose.

"What are you doing here?" The familiar raspy voice cried out. Nya whipped around and met Jay, who was shrinking back into the shadow.

"I'm sorry, I- Misako told me to find you, and..." Nya's voice trailed off as she shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. I came here out of my own choice. I shouldn't have disobeyed you."

Jay's mouth was agape as his eyes frantically darted between the three doors. "You didn't go in any of them, did you?" He whispered, sweeping past her and checking every door.

"N-No, I just got here." Nya explained, trying to follow his quick movements.

"Would you have gone through any of them?" He dashed on all fours towards her and stood up, towering over her.

"Yes." She responded quietly, lowering her head in shame. Her heart pounded loudly, about to burst out of her chest. "But... But I was only looking for you. I wouldn't have explored..."

Jay backed off, pacing the floor as he scrunched his brows quizzically. "Why did Misako tell you to find me? They should know I prefer to be alone when I..." He cut himself off, stopping and closing his eyes.

"I asked how I could help her. All of you." Nya looked up at him again. "Something isn't right here, and I'm willing to help you solve this problem."

"It's not a technical issue." He muttered. "Believe me, I've... worked to find a logical solution. This is the work of magic. It's a curse." His usual hiss lingered on this last word for emphasis.