Chapter 3

Jay felt his heart break once he saw the girl's reaction to him. She had stumbled backwards, covering her mouth with her hands, her eyes widening in horror. She had turned around quickly, facing her brother once again. Jay closed his eyes and stepped back into the shadows, afraid to see her reaction again.

"Nya, please..." Her brother, Kai, was begging now. "You don't know what you're doing!"

Nya had turned back around, facing Jay once again, nervous but unafraid to look him in the eyes this time. She slowly lifted an arm and pointed at the lock. "You have my word. Now release him."

Jay swallowed, glancing away from her. "Done." He hissed, pushing past her and pulling the key from his pocket. He unlocked the gate and let the siblings embrace for a moment.

"Kai, you need to trust me." Nya whispered. "I'll be fine. Go home and recover, and don't you dare come back for me. I can't have you risking your life again."

Kai was shaking his head. "I refuse to accept that, Nya. I'm coming back for you."

Jay growled impatiently. "That's enough..." He muttered, grabbing Kai by the back of his collar and dragging him outside. Nya had followed them, crying out for her brother but also keeping her distance in fear of the creature. Jay tossed him into the snow and slammed the great doors behind him, ordering one of his servants to capture him and send him away. Outside, Kai was calling out to her, fighting the living coach that had trapped him. His frantic voice faded away as he was wheeled away into the woods.

Jay faced Nya, who was crumpled to the ground and quietly sobbing. He backed away, his claws clacking against the marble. What have I done? He thought to himself, feeling horribly guilty, an emotion he thought he would have grown accustomed to by now. Slowly, he approached her, trying to lean in to hear her speak.

"You didn't let me say goodbye." She whispered quietly, her voice breaking. "I- I'll never see him again, and I didn't even get to say goodbye..."

She looked up at him again, her eyes steady and burning with rage. The girl was definitely unafraid to look at him now as if he were any other, but her face was scrunched in disgust, hot tears slipping down her cheeks. She lowered her head again and placed her hands on her knees, watching her tears drip against the floor.

Jay's stomach sank as he slouched over, trying not to lord his height over her. He tried to say something, but nothing came out. What could he say at this point?

A certain clinking caught his attention, allowing him to collect his thoughts for a moment. "Stay here." He ordered her quietly, rushing into one of the halls. "I'll be back."

He had finally caught up to the sound that lead straight to Wu, who was resting on an end table. "There you are." The old teapot's painted mouth curled up in a smile. "I see you've met a girl."

"I guess you could say that." Jay mumbled, his cheeks growing hot under his scales. "I completely messed up, though. I think she's my prisoner now. God, I'm such a fool." He covered his face and groaned. "I didn't realize how hard it was to talk to humans... with you guys, it's easy because... you're like me, you know? But with them, I felt like a monster..."

"You could never be a monster, Jay!" Little Lloyd piped up, sliding to the edge of the table. The small blue cup suddenly lowered itself. "I'm sorry. I think I scared the other one, though. Please don't be mad..."

Jay sighed, stroking the rim of the cup gently with a claw, as if he was tousling his hair. "I could never be mad at you, Lloyd. I just wish I could do it all over."

"This will take time, but I assure you, she is the one." One of Wu's painted eyes winked at him. "Start by offering her a real room. She needs warmth and proper rest. Later, we will prepare supper for you both." He whistled for a cart, hopping towards the edge as it zoomed into the room. "Come along now, nephew." The teapot pushed the cup onto the cart, wheeling them away.