Chapter 17 - Forgetting To Regret

Start from the beginning

It was safe to say that I was falling in love with that little redheaded spit fire.

“Dad, what do I do? Give me a sign of something that’ll help me out here,” I begged, racking my brain for more things to do or say to make this all right again.

Here I was, a twenty one year old man, crying to my dead father about a girl I loved who clearly didn’t love me back. To any passerby, I’d look like a pathetic piece of shit.

My phone chose this time to beep quietly, mixing with the faint sounds from the hidden creatures in the bushes. I pulled it out slowly, knowing it was probably just my mother, wondering where the hell I was atfive o’clockin the morning. She wouldn’t rest until I was home, even if I was considered a legal adult.

As I unlocked the screen, Bailey’s name popped up and my eyes widened. My heart pounded in a way I’d never felt before, and I felt myself being scared but incredibly happy that she was at least making the effort to say something to me.

I’m willing to give you another chance to explain yourself. If you’re willing to fess up, meet me at my house tomorrow morning around 10.’

I reread the text message more times than I should have and wondered what made her change her mind. When I last said those stupid things back at her house, she honestly seemed like she was done with me for good. I thought I’d never be able to see or talk to her again and it was officially over. The fact that I was actually getting another chance made me the happiest I’d ever been. And I couldn’t help but wonder if this had something to do with a sign from my dad.

I looked up from my phone and trained my eyes on the stone in front of me. “Thanks Dad. I couldn’t do any of this without you,” I smiled.

I got up from the dirty ground and brushed off the back of my jeans briefly. Before I made my way back to my car, I tapped his stone a few times with my fingers in praise.

“You watch out for me so much, Dad. Watch out for little Greg too, please. He needs you far more than I do.”

At that, I made my way back to my car and headed for home for the night. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep because I knew I was seeing Bailey in less than five hours. My brain was already trying to figure out what would happen. But, as my mind wandered back to that text, my heart sped up a little bit.

This would mean that I finally had to own up to everything. I would have to let her know what happened with my dad, and why I felt like such a jackass all of the time. I would finally have to let her in. People just don’t get second chances everyday. I had to do this if it meant that I was getting her back, I had to.

This was going to the hardest day of my life.

*****

The whole night I lied awake in my room, not being able sleep a wink just like I had expected. I cleaned a few things up and ate a ton from the kitchen until it was time for me to shower and get ready to see Bailey. I left my house atquarter to ten, starting the car and heading for the Keys’ mansion.

The entire ride over, I was sweating through my white collared shirt and wiping my palms consistently against my jeans. My heart was beating a mile a minute in my chest, warning me that this wasn’t my time to say anything. Meanwhile, my mind was telling me that this was the time to fess up to everything. If my heart wanted Bailey, it would need to shut the fuck up and let me talk when I stepped up those stairs.

I pulled up the paved driveway, taking a deep breath before shutting off the engine and getting out of the car. I tapped my fingers nervously against my leg as I walked up the pathway to the cheery wooden door. I knocked three times as slowly as I could. While I waited for her to answer, I kept playing with my hair and making sure my clothes were in place so I looked presentable.