Ch. 37: Tickets

I tried to sleep next to Joe that night, I really did. But his arms and legs were sprawled all over the place, and he was sleeping so heavily, that it was impossible to move him, even the slightest bit. So a bit annoyed, it was me that climbed up to the upper bed, and laid on half alert all night, because I was afraid to fall down if I as much as moved. And it was actually a relief when Annie woke up, and was hungry, so I could climb back down. With one hard chair as the only option, I sat down, and found out that I relaxed more in that, than in the friggin bed. So after putting Annie back to sleep, I remained sitting in that chair for the rest of the night.

Needless to say, I was both grumpy and sore when it finally was time to get ready for breakfast. But no matter how hard I poked Joe, he only grunted and slept on. And not even when Annie was protesting loudly when I was putting on her little jump suit, there was much of a reaction.

"Joe!! Get the fuck up! It's breakfast, and if we don't go up there within the next half hour, it's too late. And after a night like this, you do not want to leave me hungry!"

"Yeah..." Joe mumbled, with a sheepish smile, obviously thinking about what happened before he fell asleep. But he still didn't manage to open his eyes. So, since I was tired of carrying Annie around, and didn't want her to lay on the dirty floor, I placed her carefully in Joe's arms, with his upper arm as safety so she wouldn't fall down. Then I walked into the bathroom to throw some cold water in my face, for the fifth time in the last couple of hours. But then I heard Joe scream, and then Annie too, and jolted out to see what it was. And I caught sight of Joe carefully removing Annie's hand from his hair, before he pulled her into his chest and rocked her gently.

"I'm so sorry, little baby. I didn't mean to scare you. It's just that... That gosh dang hurt, so I just screamed a little, that's all. Please don't cry. La-lala-la-lala..." he cooed, humming the last part. And they were so goddamn cute, that my heart ached.

Annie soon stopped crying, and Joe drew a relieved sigh, and finally saw me, still standing in the doorway to the bathroom.

"Can you please join me for breakfast now?" I asked, and even I heard how exhausted I sounded. Joe frowned.

"Are you okay?" he asked, and sat up. But then he frowned even more, and even whimpered a little, and I started to giggle.

"Someone's a little sore today?" I asked, trying to not crack up entirely. Joe just mumbled an answer, and blushed like a neon sign.

"Go do your thing, and get done in five minutes. You can shower afterwards."

Joe lifted his covers a little, then looked back up at me.

"But Missy... I am covered in... Uhm. I can't eat breakfast like... Can't I please...? I'll make it quick. I promise."

I exhaled a long breath, and pursed my lips.

"Fine. But no touching yourself. We don't have time for anything el..."

But I abrupted myself, when Joe, after placing Annie closer to the wall, where he had slept, tucked the bed sheaths around himself, and got up in a way that made him look like a nine months pregnant woman.

"Oh... I see. No, chance for that sort of thing in a while, then?"

I chuckled and picked up Annie, while he muttered to himself, and did what he was told. And exactly five minutes later, we were on our way up to the dining area for breakfast.

******

After about an hour or so, we had consumed our breakfast, that tasted great, compared to the awful beds. But now, it wasn't long before we were in Spain, and hopefully safe.