Something of the other

Miyako Pov

"Yes it's her grandaughter. What do you mean she cannot speak with her. Look the, grand daughter went through some serious medical issues and wishes to speak with her only family member living, so if you-No don't put me on hold....and I'm on hold." He slammed his phone on my dresser which I'm pretty sure caused it to hang up. "Michiko it's fine if I can't speak with her now, it its 10:00 p.m. That's pretty late." I said adjusting my ice pack."  He sighed. "True but this is your family. You should be able to speak to her anytime you want." I smiled as he scratched his head. "What's your Grandmother like?" He asked sitting at the foot of my bed. I thought about it. "What is she not like. She's a great cook. A sensational karate master, back in her day. She just has a warm heart and I feel blessed to have her in replace of my parents." I drifted off. "What happened to them?" Michiko asked but clamped his hands over his mouth. "I mean you don't need to answer that. I really shouldn't of asked." 

"Actually it's okay. I just have to remember a bit..." I said trailing off.

14 years ago

We were in our favorite sushi restaurant. it was the day before my birthday and my Mom and Dad decided to treat me early, and go hang out before the big day arrived. They did this every year, as a tradition. After sushi, they took me down to my favorite park Meadow Bush Lane. My god the roses in the park combined a perfect aroma with the water lilies, I really felt like I was in a trance. Then just across the green meadow a band was playing a up beat jazzy type fest. My Mom, Dad, and I started dancing in a big circle. It was all to perfect, it seemed like a dream. Until the nightmare kicked in. You just  hear  a few gun shots and about 10 thugs coming in and  shooting peopleat random. I think it was for a political demonstration. We immediately try to run back to our car. My dad was trying to protect me and my mom so he ran  in the back of us while my mom was in the front she was trying to protect me.  It seemed like we were running right into their trap  because as we approached our car one of the shooters sat in the drivers seat. "Get in," He said in a husky voice. I remember his cold golden eyes. "If you don't wanna die now, get in. We're taking hostages!" He said, holding up a gun and pointing it at me. My dad glared at him and went into the passenger seat, while my Mom and I took the back. 

It was like my Mom and Dad had a physic connection, because they had a plan. My mom leaned over to me and whispered "Aim for the grass." she said and I looked up at her confused. She slipped a box into my jacket pocket and slyly unbuckled my seat belt. I knew to keep quiet because they were trying to save me. She pulled me onto her lap and kept her hand on the handle. Just then my Dad grabs the guy gun and the car started to swerve. It got closer to the grass my mom had open up the door for me. "We love you Miyako." She kissed my forehead and pushed me out the car at an angle so I wouldn't get hurt. But I must've hit something because, it was dark for a long time. When I came too I was surrounded by a lot of fire and a lot of people. Firefighters, police, paramedics, witnesses. I noticed one person out of all, and it was my grandmother. She held me really tight and started crying all over me. I knew what happened to them. Even if I was only 4 years old at the time. That's when I felt something hard in my jacket pocket. I took it out and it was the box my mom had slipped to me. I opened it up. "Happy birthday Miya, you have to presents one now and one when it's your birthday. Here's a bubble necklace. Love Mommy and Daddy." I had read out loud the note left on it. 

~End~

"And when my grandmother took me to my old house that evening, is where I got my stuffed octopus, Octi. Don't judge me with the name I was only 4." I said holding onto my knees. "I am so sorry Miyako."Michiko said now sitting near my legs, and since I'm in an upright position it's seemed even closer. "Actually for a long time I was just upset, but I know they love me and I'm surronded by people who love me. And that makes me happy." I smiled. He looked at me for a minute before smiling. "So what about your parents?" "Never had any." He said. "Wait what do you mean, you would need parents to exist." I stated confused. He shook his head. "My brothers and I never had anyone who was really was a parent to us. Sure we had people who  would look out for us, try to make us do bad things. Which I hate to admit, it would often work. But we never had anyone actually be with us for a long time and care for us. We always had each other." He said. I looked at him more closely.

He is really attractive, and I love his dark blue eyes. They're like to big oceans. And I wouldn't mind getting lost in that sea. I smile lightly. "I feel like we talk a lot about me and not about you." I whispered quietly.  He shrugged. I like learning about you." He stared at me for a minute. "I like learning something of the other rather than myself. I so don't have an interesting life, and just hearing about others, makes me feel good on the inside." He brushed his hair back slowly. "I probably sound stupid." I shook my head in disagreement.  "No you sound, human." I replied and he smiled really big.

"Seems late I should be getting to my guest room."  I slowly and sadly nodded. He waved bye at me. "Good night Miyako." He walked out the door. " Sweet dreams, Michiko." I hugged my pillow tight.

Something of the other, I like that.♡