chapter 28

Young Isaiah in the mm.

••

Dariah-Imani Brown

Dave and I waited inside Holy Cross Church of God for over two hours trying to figure out a plan while my lawyer wrecked her brain checking over my documentation.

"Why they coming after her if she's married to a U.S. citizen? they ain't allowed to take her" Dave asked frustrated.

"Yeah that's true but the government are making changes to laws like that so it's been complicated and ICE has started to come after 'aliens' even if they were married" My lawyer said.

"I can change my name, they wouldn't be able to find me if I change my name" I spoke out.

"You could but they're looking for you, we don't have enough time to do all of that without the risk of getting caught"

"Can't we do it here and now?" Dave asked.

"No. you have to go to court and if they accept your request then you have to wait at least a month or more before it's taken into action. it's a lot to it, and there's a high chance they'll find out ICE is searching for you and deny it" My lawyer explained.

"WELL WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING" I yelled, Dave took my hand and told me to relax.

"No David, I can't relax okay? it's easy for you to do that because your life isn't on the line. Mine is, I can't be deported. I don't know my father nor have I ever been to his country" Dave just kept quiet after that leaving me and my lawyer to talk.

"What about the green card she applied for?" He asked.

"It's still in the process but i'll make some calls" My lawyer said.

"BABY" My mother yelled while running inside the church, I got up shocked.

"Ma, what are you doing here?"

"I heard ICE was looking for you, they're not gonna take my baby away from me. We aren't splitting again" She cried as Jaren consoleded her.

"Hold up, let's make sure this shit is right. Let's start from the beginning of your life" Dave said.

"He's right, tell me about you and Dariah's father" My lawyer asked her.

My mother sat in front of me as we all sat in a circle, she calmed herself down and began to tell her story.

"Jaren after this, don't be upset" She warned him.

"I can't promise but I won't act out because it's not the time or place to do so. Just go on" He told her.

She took a deep breath before starting.

"Isaiah and I met in highschool, he had just came from India.."

Karlyn Bello

"Hello, what is your name?" I heard Ms.Bruno's voice as class started, my head was down so I wasn't sure who she was talking to.

"Isaiah" He whispered but for some reason, I still heard him.

"Welcome Isaiah, introduce yourself to the class" She pushed.