chapter 25

••

Dariah-Imani Brown

"Are you ready to open up about your past?"

silence..

"Dariah you're not gaining anything but money loss"

silence..

"Alright, guess we'll sit here in silence til your session is over"

Right now, I was sitting across the therapist. He was waiting on me to open up about my past, I wasn't ready to do all of that.

"I..lived with my grandmother in new york" I finally spoke up after 30 minutes of sitting in this office.

"Okay we are getting somewhere, continue. How was life with your grandmother in new york?"

"It was shitty.. Our apartment was basically this room we are in right now, I slept on the couch and we could barley afford to keep with the rent and every other shit that cost money" I started. He motioned for me to go on.

"I had to learn how to grow up faster than other kids, I had to get a job, I had to be the support for me and my grandmother"

"And how did that make you feel?" The therapist asked.

"It was annoying, I love my grandma to the death of me but I just wanted to be a child and have the life where I'm stress free"

"Where are your birth givers?"

"At the time, I thought they died but I recently got reconnected with them.. well one of them. My father is in India and my mom is here with two kids and a husband"

"Have you met her two kids and husband?"

"Yes.." I responded.

"Alright and how did that make you feel? how did you meet them? give me details"

"When I moved her, I got a job at forever 21 and my co-worker Raina had become a close friend of mine. We finished senior off together, and on our graduation day her parents came" I stopped for a second.

"Did seeing her parents make you think of yours?"

"Just a little.. her mother looked like mine from the pictures then her mom kept asking questions about my parents which I thought was weird. the next day, she explains that she's my mother and Raina is my twin sister but my father was deported and her husband is Raina's"

"And how did you feel when you heard that?"

"Uh angry.. upset.. frustrated I guess"

"Say it like you feel it now"

"I'm angry and frustrated" I said normally.

"Close your eyes and take a breath in"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in. I felt like it was stupid but I did it anyways to get this over with.

"Before we continue with our activity, I want you to relax. you're too tense, just breathe. In..out.."

I relaxed my body and followed her instructions.