thirty eight

hey angel, do you know the reasons why we look up to the sky?

Louis' POV

After I dropped Harry off, I drove about two minutes before pulling over to think over what was happening. It was 3 am, and here I was, dropping off my boyfriend because he didn't want to stay with me. Or, I guess, dropping off my ex. Thinking of having to call Harry my ex now made me sick to my stomach. I sat in the car and turned down the music on the radio. I shut off the car and looked out the window. I watched as the other cars in busy LA passed by, wondering how their nights had gone. Most stories I made up going better than my night.

I just couldn't comprehend why he had suddenly decided to leave. We had had sex right before he decided he had to go. It was so passionate, so loving. It was always romantic, but never this intimate. So what had gone wrong? Unless, of course, Harry had planned on breaking up with him for even longer. He had acted strange after the play earlier in the night. Did something happen before that? I thought over a million scenarios in my head before realizing I had been pulled over for more than 20 minutes now. Soon, the residents around here would be concerned.

I pulled into my driveway and shut off the car - not really knowing how I got home. I felt like I hadn't paid any attention to the driving. All that I could think about was Harry. And all the things I had ever done with Harry. I sat down on my couch and looked around the house quietly. Cam hadn't been home in days - he had stayed out of the way so that I could have more time with Harry, but all I wanted right now was him here. I needed a friend here to talk me out of all the depressing thoughts going through my head. I got up to take off my shoes, walking over to the tall front door and leaving my Vans next to it. I looked down at the doorknob and felt memories flood into my head, not making the sadness any better.

I stared out at the curly haired boy in front of me, "Hi." is all I could say.

"Hi." He smiled at me, and let himself in as I moved to the side for him. "What smells so good?" I saw him push his iPhone into his back pocket as he stopped walking and looked around.

"I made dinner. Tacos?" I said, hoping he would like them.

"You made dinner?" He asked, facing me now with a smile.

"Of course, you said you wanted food when we texted."

"I just didn't think this was gonna be very formal." I saw a small smirk come up at the corner of his lips.

"Oh?" I started, "What did you think this was going to be then?"

He walked closer to me and grabbed my hand, "I just thought we'd be having some more fun." He whispered.

Should I have seen it from the beginning? When he came over that first time, was he only here to hook up? I had told myself it was a date, but the whole time he only wanted a quick fuck. How could I not have seen it? He wasn't ready for a committed relationship - that's not even what he wanted in the first place. And I had gotten him into it anyway. It's my fault I was feeling so heartbroken right now. Perhaps if I were better at reading people, I would have known he didn't even want the same things as me. Maybe then, I wouldn't be alone, sobbing over a golden doorknob.

I decided to get over it - and text Cam. He would have a plan. And if he didn't have a plan: we would drink until we didn't know why we started.

L: What are you up to? Within seconds he responded, as usual.

C: It's 3 am, I'm sleeping. What do you want dickface?

L: Harry and I broke up.

C: I'm on my way.

I loved Cam - I really did. Although he wasn't around as much as he used to be, he really cared. And for years and years on end, he was always there - no matter what.