1.7

i suggest reading chapter sixteen before reading this

After groaning, Hazel pulled her large comforter off her body as she got off of her bed, rubbing her eyes. Her room was pitch dark, which obviously made it very hard for her to get to her bedroom door, as she tripped over random items that were scattered all over the room. She regretted not cleaning her room when she had the time to, but then again, she enjoyed doing nothing a lot more.

"Fuck," Hazel said to herself, as she fell over a large amount of books that were left on the ground. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as her thin, pale fingers felt the cold door knob, immediately twisting it. Her eyes squinted at the lighting in the corridor as she walked to the kitchen, where she sat on the barstool, wiping her nose.

Her phone was left on the counter, and Hazel decided to call her father, since she hadn't spoken to him for a while, and she missed him quite a lot.

Dialling his number, she sat silently, her fingernails tapping impatiently on the counter, mentally praying for her father to answer. Disappointment was all she could feel when she was directed to voice mail, but she did not hesitate to leave her father a message.

"Hey, dad," Hazel spoke, "Um, I know you're probably busy with work and whatever, but I miss you. I miss you a lot, and it sucks so much knowing we don't spend much time together anymore. I love you."

After hearing the beep, she locked her phone and placed it gently on the counter, rubbing the few tears that had rolled down her cheek. Hazel didn't understand why she was getting all emotional, but her father was the only family she had left that genuinely cared about her, and she didn't want him to give up on her. Not like everyone else did.

Her phone rang, and Hazel's eyes lit up at the thought of her dad calling. Without checking the caller ID, she clicked on the answer button, then pressed her phone to her ear, saying, "Hello."

"Hi, Hazel," Luke answered on the other side.

"Oh, it's you," She replied, not intending to sound harsh.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Was his immediate response.

"Nothing, I'm perfectly fine," Hazel lied, trying very hard to convince him.

"You're not fooling anyone," He sighed, "Tell me what's wrong. Did I wake you up? Are you still sick?"

"No, no," She rubbed her eyes, "I just miss my dad a lot. We never spend any time with each other anymore, and sometimes it just feels like he loves his job more than he loves me."

"Hazel, that's stupid," Luke said, reassuring her, "Your dad loves you way more than he loves his stupid job. Never think that way, because it's clearly not true."

"How come you're calling at four am?" She asked, attempting to change the subject.

"Couldn't sleep."

"What, why?" Hazel questioned further, worried.

"There's just a lot of things that are bothering me, and also a lot of things that I can't stop thinking about," Luke answered truthfully.

"What's bothering you?" She continued to query.

"A lot of things."

"And what can't you stop thinking about?"

"A lot of things," He answered again, then paused before saying, "But mostly you."

"And why's that?" Hazel asked further, slowly getting up from the barstool and walking to her room, waiting for his reply.