Chapter 3

And here is chapter 3! I hope you all enjoy and please leave comments and votes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aedion sits on the upper balcony near his and Lysandra's room, looking out over what was a battlefield only months prior. Aedion can still hear the screams and sounds of battle all around him, even though he knows he is safe in his new home.

Aedion can not help but to let his gaze drift toward the western gate of Orynth, to where Gavriel, no, his father, made his final stand. Where the lion gave himself up in order to save Aedion.

As he sits there, all he can think about is how he treated his father. Yes, he had been mad at him. It was so easy to be mad at Gavriel for not being there, for leaving him to be taken to war by the enemy, for not coming to help him.

But now, Aedion regrets his anger. All he wants is a chance to have a parent. After years of believing himself to be an orphan, he had met his father. Now, he is truly an orphan. It hurts more than nearly anything else ever has.

Aedion senses his cousin come up and standing behind him but he does not greet her, does not have the energy to.

Aelin gracefully takes a seat beside him and sits quietly at his side for a while. They do not speak, just observe what is now their home. Reflecting on those who were lost. Aelin follows her cousins eyes to the western gate and considers what to say.

"He loved you, you know." Aelin says.

Aedion wonders how to respond. He thinks he knows that. His father gave his own life for him, but then again, he never came to help him all of those years. Aedion just waits for his queen to say something else.

"While we were on the way here, your father keep thinking and asking about you. He wanted to redeem himself and be there for you, to be your father." Aelin says softly. She scoots closer to Aedion, not close enough that they are touching, but close enough that Aedion could touch her if he wishes.

Aedion takes a harsh breath in. This is hard a hard conversation to have but he needs to hear it. He scoots closer to his cousin, pressing their arms together lightly. It has been so long since he and Aelin have sat together, looking at their homeland. Aedion shakes his head and brings himself back to the topic at hand.

He wants to know more about his father, wants to know what he was like. But, that could just make it harder for him. Knowing that he had the chance of having a loving parent makes being alone worse than it has ever been.

Well not completly alone, he thinks as he leans into Aelin and she wraps her arm around him. He thinks of his wonderful, strong, kind, and beautiful wife down in the castle, his new court.. no his new family.

"How can you miss someone so much even though you did not know them at all?" Aedion asks.

"The same way we miss lives we never lived and things we have never had." Aelin answers. "The way we both missed not growing up here and having the lives we were promised. In the end though, we are here. With a family different than the one we expected but still a family that we love."

"I guess so, cousin." Aedion looks back over the battle field one last time before standing and offering a hand to his queen. "Let's go see our family."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love Aedion so much and he just needs to hurt a little bit and I needed to have a moment to go over Gavriel's death. 

Next chapter, we get to catch up with Yrene and Chaol!