Chapter 5

[Emma]

White. The first thing I saw after my eyes pop opened was a white space. It was the ceiling of what I deduced was a hospital. I heard the sharp and quite irritating beep of the electrocardiogram on my left ear. I tried to move my head but failed, my neck was immobilized by a collar. My eyes looked over the room as much as they were capable of. I caught sight of a stand for intravenous drips, followed by other stuff I had no knowledge about.

I exhaled and inhaled several times trying to calm down, trying to understand what was happening and trying to process everything. Little by little the moments of the car accident emerged in my mind.

Suddenly, a nurse entered the room without even looking at me. She checked out something in the electrocardiogram.

"Excuse me" I said with a broken voice "Where am I?"

"At the hospital" she answered, her attention on the device.

"I know damn well I'm in a hospital!!" I yelled so furiously I made the woman startle. Her grayish eyes were on me now. The following words were said in a lower tone but still with a bit of anger "I want to know in which town or city I am"

"Storybrooke" she answered before leaving quite scared. In a matter of seconds I saw my parents setting foot into the room.

"Emma. You woke up" David said. He caressed my head and gave me a warm smile. Mary Margaret hold my right hand on hers and glanced at me with those radiant black eyes. Somehow, those gestures helped to get a hold of myself.

"How are you feeling?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Like hell"

"Dr. Whale told us you didn't have severe injuries. You just need to take the pills that will help you with the pain and have some rest" he said.

"How did you guys find me?" Ugh. My voice sounded broken again.

"It was getting pretty late and you hadn't arrived. We tried to reach you on the phone but there was no answer, so we decided to use the GPS and we found you" she said kindly squeezing my hand. I was beginning to feel better when something, more like someone, came up to my mind.

Killian.

"Oh my God, where is he? Is Killian alright? I- I need to see him right now! I need to-"

"Emma calm down" David demanded in a soft tone as he was trying to stop me from standing up. I struggled, only causing pain to my body.

"Honey don't fight" Mary Margaret said "You're not in conditions to be on your feet. Please calm down"

Noticing the damage I was causing myself I slowly stopped struggling.

"He's at intensive care" my dad finally answered.

"Have you talked to him?"

"I'm afraid no. He hasn't woken up yet" mom replied in a gloomy voice.

"What does the doctor say about his condition?"

"He'll be fine, sweetheart. Don't worry"

I nodded, but deep inside my heart I couldn't stop thinking about him. I needed to see him.

"Mom?" a fourth voice said next to the door.

"Henry!" My son walked into the room and carefully hugged me.

"I'm so glad you're ok"

"Me too, kid" I kissed his cheek and messed his hair.

"What's gonna happen?"

"About what?"

"Your weeding" Both my parents glared at the boy. If looks could kill...

"Henry!" Mary Margaret let out. Henry lowered his head repentant.

"It's fine" I interrupted "The wedding can wait some weeks more".

I spent the following days in bed with everyone taking care of me. Dr. Whale said I needed the collar no more, unless my neck began to hurt or I had more headaches. I still had some bandages on my arms and face, covering some scratches. The aches were lowering down and soon I could stand on my feet. After this, the doctor finally released me. I could say goodbye to that stupid hospital gown.

I put on my usual clothes and looked at my reflection in the mirror. It was the first time I did that before leaving New York. It was awkward to look at myself after so long.

"Miss Swan" said a nurse "You told me to let you know when he woke up and-"

"Oh my God. Thanks" I rushed out the room and made my way to Killian's. There he was, lying on the bed with some bruises in his face. He looked better than I thought. It reminded me of the day he was run down in the borderline.

"Killian" I whispered as I sat next to him. He had a blank look "I'm so glad you're fine. I've been really worried about you these last days. I wanted to see you before, but I had to stay in bed. Dr. Whale just released me from the hospital. You'll be out of here soon. You'll come with me. In fact, with Henry as well" I chuckled.

His eyes met mine. There was not a single word that came out from his mouth. I put my hand on his face, softly caressing his warm cheek and smiling.

"Killian. Say something, could you? If you're mad at me or something like that, tell me. You can trust me as I trust you"

"I'm sorry" he finally said. I frowned "This isn't right. Nothing of this seems to be fine"

"What? Killian you have just been in an accident and you're making jokes?"

"I'm not!" His voice rose up, almost yelling. I put aside my hand from his face, standing up. That was the moment when I understood everything. What I was seeing in his eyes was...

Nothing.

"I don't remember anything" he continued.