Arc 5.12 Empress of Four Kingdoms

Start from the beginning

Long Zheng stood near the front as he held the highest position after the two prime ministers.

At the sight of such a harmonious scene despite the officials screaming their lungs out in either protest or consent, Li Feifei smiled as Liu Yi announced her arrival.

Everyone stopped whatever they were doing as Emperor Li laughed brightly while beckoning her in.

She complied and was just about to sit in her usual seat right beside him but was pulled by the waist into a certain devil's lap instead, causing four other men's faces to darken all at once.

As it wasn't their place, the two princes could only glare at Hua Shen for touching their sister so brazenly while Long Zheng clenched his two fists so hard that his veins were showing, narrowing his eyes as his gaze swept over both Li Feifei's and Hua Shen's figures before finally keeping his sight on Li Feifei.

In contrast, even though Emperor Li was also displeased that his daughter's tofu was eaten right in front of him he also felt that it was the right time to disclose the new marriage alliance between Li and Hua. He had been waiting for when the court session was just about over to drop such groundbreaking news so that the officials wouldn't be able to complain for very long.

It just so turned out that his daughter had truly impeccable timing!

And that his future son-in-law was quite shameless.

Seeing as his eldest son was starting to look at him with pleading and questioning eyes like a puppy while Li Hao looked as if he was ready to bite off Hua Shen's neck at any moment, Emperor Li felt a minor headache coming about as he remembered that he would have to properly offer his wife an explanation later regarding the marriage of their only daughter.

Oh well, he would just have to convince her in bed.

Coughing lightly to regain the attention on himself, Emperor Li's deep and resonant voice sounded throughout the hall.

"About three weeks ago, zhen annulled Fei-er's engagement with General Long as per Fei-er's request and General Long's consent," he thought it was better to start out with this as nobody had been aware of the annulment until he opened his mouth just then.

Looking at the eager and greedy gazes of some of his officials as they looked at his daughter, Li Yunzhi suddenly felt an evil pleasure rising up as he imagined their crushed looks after hearing what he had to say next.

"Yesterday, Hua's emperor and ambassadors arrived in Li, and proposed to form a marriage alliance."

It took some of the officials a few seconds to process what the words he'd spouted implied, before their faces paled while some of them immediately kowtowed and shouted protests.

""Your Majesty! Please reconsider!""

They already knew that Emperor Li must have accepted the proposal, as he didn't inhibit nor reprimand Emperor Hua's actions that lacked propriety. Not that it was appropriate to reprimand another emperor in the first place, but knowing Emperor Li and his love for his only daughter it wasn't wrong to assume he'd do so if he had already rejected Hua's offer.

Also, it wasn't as if they were entirely lacking in brains. They were officials for a reason. An alliance between the two kingdoms was a really good one, especially if the other party was only asking for a princess's hand in marriage. Not to mention, they were both military kingdoms.

The ambitious officials who'd always dreamt of a united era of the four kingdoms already felt their hearts swelling at the foreseeable future.

The only reason the protesting officials weren't so fond of the idea was that Li wasn't as stable in terms of government affairs as Hua was, so an alliance wasn't exactly the best thing at the moment.