Chapter 33 - Epilogue II: 23rd year

CHAPTER 33: EPILOGUE II – 23rd YEAR

Misaki’s POV

When we lose someone we love so much, to comfort us, people would say that we must move on and that the ones we lost wouldn’t want us to dwell on the past. Hearing those words doesn’t make it any easier. Moving on isn’t that simple.

For the past few years, I have tried to avoid the memories of the past that would interrupt the semi-normal life that I have tried to go back to. I’m focusing on the future and focusing on taking care of the family I now have.

Takahiro’s son was now two years old. I can’t believe it has been that long. I still remember the day he was born, when I held that little blue bundle in my arms, cradling his tiny head to my chest. Tears that I had learned not to shed in the months before he was born fell freely as the tiny creature opened his beautiful tiny eyes and looked at me.

As he grew, he looked like him even more. He even had that goofy grin that never left nii-chan’s face. I loved him with all of my heart. I would give up my life for him, that’s how much he meant to me.

But on days like this…

I was walking down the sidewalk, not so far from the penthouse, when the sky darkened as a little drizzle started to fall. My gaze drifted to the source of wetness that glided down my cheek, staring at the thickly clouded skies above. It wasn’t the rainy season, far from it. It was midsummer, but the weather decided to change suddenly. Here I was, standing at the side of the street, memories of the dreadful rainy day when I lost my nii-chan returning to my mind.

I inhaled a deep breath as I quickened my strides, not wanting to be outside when it turned into a downpour, and judging from the dark clouds, it was going to. Opening the door to the apartment, I called out, like I normally did, “I’m home…”

“Welcome back,” I heard Usagi-san reply from the kitchen. He had a mug of coffee in his hand when he stepped into view, glancing at me as he was making his way to the stairs. He suddenly stopped before he changed his path, and, instead, walked up to me.

When he was standing in front of me, he reached out his hand and placed it on my head, ruffling it like he usually did. I sighed as I relished in the comfort I received from that small gesture. “What’s wrong?” he asked, a look of concern covering his face.

I shook my head before taking a step back to hang my coat. “Nothing…” I mumbled.

“Are you sure?” I nodded my answer before I walked into the kitchen to place the grocery bags onto the counter and put the items I bought away.

“What would you like for dinner?” I asked in an attempt to change the topic. He always could see right through me, but I still didn’t want to worry him.

“Anything my Misaki makes is fine,” he said with a smirk, causing me to blush lightly.

“Flattery won’t get you anywhere,” I replied as I started to place a few things in the fridge.

“True… Flattery isn’t necessary. I think we established that I could get what I want, when I want.”

“BAKA USAGI! GO FINISH YOUR WORK! AIKAWA LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS GOING TO FALL OVER FROM EXHAUSTION WHEN I SAW HER TODAY!” I yelled at him in annoyance. How could he say such embarrassing things so easily? Really! What is up with that smug attitude of his?!

“Yeah, yeah…” he grumbled as he turned around and headed upstairs. My eyes followed him until I saw him close his office door behind him. A sigh escaped my lips when I looked back at the food ingredients that I have set out. I didn’t feel like cooking anymore as I felt tears gather behind my lids.