Chapter 10

When they returned to New York, they found it a white blanket of snow covered in fairy lights and christmas decorations. As Brooke Riley sat at her desk gazing at the precinct christmas tree, she was reminded christmas was barely a week away and she hadn't done one thing for it. Should she call her family in Washington and go visit them? Should she invite a few friends over for a meal? Should she do nothing, and carry on like it was any other day? There was a murder to solve after all. She stared at the tree longer, the flashing red and blue lights becoming a blur as her tired eyes blinked, the baubles fuzzy gold circles.

"Riley? This is Dr. Jason West,"

Her head snapped up to see Captain Morgan towering above her, next to a man she now knew as Jason West, a phsycologist who she had heard of but not met.

"I don't believe I've had the pleasure," She said, standing to shake his hand.

"Me neither, though I have heard a lot about you detective," He nodded. He was tall, with square shoulders and pitch black hair, styled neatly out of the way of his face. He was holding a dark breifcase, which matched his grey, well tailored, suit and black tie. He looked was if he wore his PHD like a medal, and Riley could tell he was going to be smug about it

Riley turned to Morgan. "I didn't know I had an appointment, Captain," She said, a edge to her voice.

The captain knew what that meant. After Riley was left in hospital because of Harold Payne, the captain had asked her many times to go to therapy or meet with a phsycologist. If he was trying to force one on her now of all times, she wasn't going to take it lying down.

"Actually, Harper recommended him for the case. He's not here for you detective - more so your suspect."

"Branstone?"

"Your interviewing him in his apartment this afternoon, correct?"

"Yes, his ankle braclet means we can't bring him here. But what has a phsycologist got to do with it?" Riley folded her arms against her chest defiantly.

"Branstone is an interest of mine," Intervened Dr. West. "His motive was never found, neither was the body, and he pleaded innocent through out the whole trail. My insight may benefit your case,"

Riley regarded him cooly, scanning his face for any hint of a sneer or smirk, but there was none.

"He will accompany you this afternoon and take notes at the interview. He will send his report after," The Captain said, the tone in his voice as stubborn as Riley's. He had made his mind up, and there was no changing it.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she turned back to West. "Well I'm sure it will be interesting to work with you then, Doctor,"

"Just West, please,"

---

When they arrived at the dark block of apartments in downtown Brooklyn, the sky had turned a murky grey, and cold snow was beginning to plummet down. Pulling her hood up, Riley got out of the car, trudging through the snow with West not far behind. They she reached the door, she pressed an icy finger to button numbered 5B.

"Yes?" A gruff voice answered.

"Is this Mr Branstone?"

"Who's asking?"

"NYPD. We called earlier,"

There was a shuffling sound, and a second later they heard the click of a lock in the door, and pushing it open, they found a warm hall. Taking the stairs to the fifth floor, they found the man waiting for them in his doorway.

"You're detective Riley?" He asked.

"That'd be me," Riley said.

"Then come in - it's been a while since I had some company,"