A Hug Is All I Need

Prompt by @abyssal-glory: 11. DEAR LORD, E-LEV-EN. (11. Scattering kisses all over the face and 11. Pulling mine into their lap)

Disclaimer: I do not own Spider-Man or any related materials.

                               __________

The thing is, it wasn't even a Monday.

That's the thing that was the most troubling for Tony as he watches his son shuffle into the room, dried tear tracks causing his baby cheeks to shine in the lights. The billionaire forces himself to stay seated on the couch, watching with his heart in his throat as Peter practically throws his book bag on the floor, his eyes blazing even as more tears fall down his face.

"Stupid." Tony can hear the boy mumble, his fists clenching as he turns toward the fridge. "Stupid, Peter, stupid."

Okay, that's enough.

Clearing his throat, the billionaire watches as Peter jumps nearly a foot in the air, whirling around and wiping almost angrily at his face, the shaking in his hands visible from where Tony sits.

"Oh," Peter says, voice watery. "I-I didn't know you were home..."

"Yeah, no shit, kiddo." Tony responds, standing up and walking around the couch, his concern increasing the closer he gets to his son. "Any reason why you decided to abuse your poor bag?"

The spidering just shrugs, biting his bottom lip, doe eyes wide and oh so sad and gosh if that sight alone doesn't make Tony's heart stutter in his chest.

"Okay," The genius says, drawing out the word. He steps closer, Peter watching him, eyes now weary. "If you really don't wanna tell me, then I guess I'll have to do...this!"

Reaching over, Tony grabs Peter by the shoulders and brings him closer, ignoring the squawk his boy lets out. Pressing his lips against his child's forehead, Tony kisses his face again and again, everywhere he can reach, over Peter's eyes and on the tip of his button nose and his high cheek bones, now dusted in red.

The spiderling squirms after a second, his laughter like a breath of fresh air as he half-heartedly tries to get away from the onslaught. Finally, Tony pulls back, watching with amusement as Peter continues to giggle, his brown eyes bright with mirth now, instead of tears.

"That," The boy says, voice breathless. "was so ticklish, I don't even know what to say right now."

Tony just smirks, wrapping an arm around his kid and leading him to the couch, gently sitting him down and reaching to undo his shoes, tugging them off as the boy blinks up at him.

"I can undo my own shoes, Dad." He finally says.

Tony huffs out a laugh. "Too late, kiddie, they're already off. Lay back for me, okay? You went through an ordeal and need lots of rest."

Peter rolls his eyes but doesn't argue, instating choosing to bring his now shoeless feet up onto the cushion and leaning back. Tony reaches over and grabs the remote from the coffee table, flicking on the TV and setting back beside his son.

A few minutes into an episode of Mythbusters, the billionaire can't stand the puppy dog looks his kid keeps shooting him, finally pausing the episode with a huff and turning toward Peter with a raised brow.

"Anything you wanna share with the class, buddy?" He asks, narrowing his eyes when Peter just blushes bright red, turning his face away. "Peter?"

"N-nothing." It's said so quietly, Tony almost doesn't hear. "It's nothing."

Not believing the words in the slightest, the superhero reaches over and cups his child's chin, gently turning Peter's face and forcing the boy to keep his gaze on him.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong, baby."

Blushing even harder at the pet name, Peter keeps his mouth stubbornly closed. Sighing, Tony makes a big show of puckering his lips up and bringing them as close as possible to his son's forehead, watching as the boy laughs.

"Okay, okay, I'll tell you!" His kid giggles, wrinkling his nose. "Your goatee is itchy."

"It's my secret weapon." Tony responds. "Now spill, kiddie."

Peter takes a deep breath, puffing up his cheeks and making him look like a fish. Tony nearly coos but stops himself just in time.

"I was just wondering–" The boy says, voice quiet. "–if w-we could maybe, uh, maybe c-cuddle?"

Tony just stares at him for a second in slight shock, brain refusing to form words and Peter seems to take that as a negative because he immediately begins scooting back, face falling and eyes sad.

"Nevermind," Peter says, throat clicking as he swallows. "Forget I-I said anything, it's stupid anyways–"

Finally Tony finds his voice. "No! No, buddy, it's not stupid, alright?"

"Are you s-sure?"

Tony nods, opening his arms and making a 'come here' gesture with his fingers. "One hundred percent, kiddo."

And Peter practically falls into his arms, wrapping his thin arms around the billionaire's waist and nuzzling against his chest, his whole body relaxing in his father's hold.

Tony doesn't hesitate, curling his own arms around his child, and running a hand through his curls, undoing knots as he goes. Peter leans into each touch, a content sigh slipping from him.

Turning the TV back on, the superhero can't force himself to pay attention to Jamie or Adam as they explain some scientific fact, instead choosing to keep his eyes on Peter. His gaze softens as the boy yawns, curling up tighter in his dad's arms, his legs curling up and over Tony's knees with ease.

Shifting against the cushion, Tony brings his arm under Peter's legs and lifts the spiderling further into his arms, brushing his curls from his face and leaning down to gently kiss his forehead.

"Ti amo," The genius whispers, voice thick. "Ti amo, il mio cuore. Forever."

Peter sighs, snuggling closer in response. "I love you too."