Show and Tell Is Sometimes Pure Hell

A/N: I hope you guys enjoy and please don't hesitate to tell me what you think! ❤️💙❤️💙

__________

"Ugh!" Huffing in frustration, Peter pauses, pressing his notecards hard against his forehead. The paper bends slightly, forming a bow and Peter wishes for a second that it also came with an arrow. "I can't do this."

"I wouldn't be able to read my notes if they were stuck to my face either, buddy." Tony says from his place on the opposite side of the lab, setting down his wrench and standing up.

He takes a second to stretch, arms rising above his head, before making his way closer to where Peter sits, gently pulling the paper from the spiderling's grasp. Peter sniffs, burying his face against his crossed arms instead.

He listens as Tony shuffles the cards. "What're you working on, anyways?"

"English presentation." The teen mumbles, the words muffled against the blue fabric of his sweatshirt. He lifts his head, lips pulled in a pout, meeting Tony's sympathetic gaze over his now crinkled notes. "It's not until -- wait, what's today?"

"Tuesday." Tony says with a laugh, handing the cards back to Peter.

"Huh, it's felt like a Monday all day -- anyways, we don't have to present until next Friday but I want to get a head start because I fucking -- uh, freaking hate talking in-front of everyone and it's partly graded on how well we present, which sucks, so --"

"Do you want me to help you practice?"

"Uh," Peter blinks, feeling a hot blush rise to his cheeks. He ducks his head, hiding his face slightly behind his notecards. "If that's okay? I mean, please don't feel like you have too, Mr. Stark, seriously, if you're busy with something, I can just get Ned or MJ to help."

"Nope," Tony pops the 'P,' grabbing a spare stool from one of his many workstations and drags it over in-front of Peter. The billionaire plops down, leaning back against the table behind him. "I'm never too busy to help out my kid, even with a boring English paper."

"R-Really?" Peter swallows, clutching his notecards tighter.

He studies the tile underneath his feet, watching with wide eyes as Tony moves closer.

"Of course, kiddo." His father-figure's warm hand reaches down, cupping Peter's cheek and gently lifts his chin, their eyes meeting. Tony's gaze is warm, soft with amusement and affection. "Now, teach me something, bambi."

"Um, uh yeah, let me just --"

Anxiety, sharp and cold, suddenly shoots through the teenager's stomach and his hands tremble. He rises, rummaging through his cards, swallowing as his mouth goes dry. "Hi, uh, guys, my name's Peter -- shit, why did I say that? Stupid, stupid. Ugh, this is already going horrible, sorry --"

"Don't apologize, bubba." Tony says, standing up so that he's in-front of Peter again, gently reaching out and gripping the trembling spiderling's shoulders. "Take a deep breath with me, nice and slow."

Copying Tony when the man inhales, Peter lets the air out in a slow whoosh. Doing this a few more times, the young hero slowly feels the fear gripping his chest start to loosen and his next breath is one of relief.

Meeting his mentor's gaze when Tony bumps his chin up with his knuckles, Peter responds to the man's proud grin with a small one of his own.

"There we go, bambino ." His smile growing, Tony reaches up, gently brushing back a loose curl from Peter's forehead, before taking his seat once more. "Alright, let's try this again. It's just you and me here, Pete, relax."

Giving a nod, Peter starts his presentation over, getting a little more than half-way before he has to take another deep breath, wiping his sweaty hands on his jeans. He bites his bottom lip, blinking rapidly, forcing himself to meet Tony's eyes over his shaking hands. He inwardly cringes at the annoyance he expects to find in the genius's dark eyes.

An encouraging thumbs up from his father-figure has the boy going at it again with a renewed gusto, however, this time getting through the entire thing without very many stumbles.

"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about." Tony says once Peter puts down his notecards, reaching out to gently tug the teen into a side-hug, ruffling the spiderling's curls with his free hand. "That was awesome, kid. We can practice a few more times this week, but if you present like that next Friday, I think you might get a 105."

"I hope so." Peter laughs, leaning into the billionaire's arm. He feels Tony press a kiss against his temple and Peter glances up, giving Tony a slightly sheepish grin. "Thanks for your help, Mr. Stark."

Tony pulls him closer, his voice a rumble against Peter's side, like comforting thunder.

"No problem, spider-baby."

__________

A/N: Thank you for reading! 🥰