Flight Of The Draco Part 3

(Martin POV)

Martin couldn't believe that the secondary climbing Kratt was afraid of falling. He looked down at (____), who looked like they were forcing them self to keep moving. He hated the idea of forcing his little sibling to face their fear, but it was what had to be done. No Kratt could do their job properly if they were afraid of any habitat. Martin wondered if he made a mistake doing this.

(reader POV)

You continued climbing. You were scared out of your wits, but kept going. Soon you spotted Zippy on the tree next to Martin.

"Martin! Draco lizard! To your left!" You called. Martin looked over at Zippy, then started climbing after him. You started making your way slowly over to his tree.

You jumped onto the branch you last saw Martin at, and saw him at the end of the branch, clinging to the leaves. There was some kind of ship with a vacuum trying to suck him up.

"Martin!" You screamed, and ran forward. Martin started to slip, and when he lost his grip, you grabbed his hand. You pulled as hard as you could, but the vacuum won the tug-o-war, and Martin was pulled from your grasp.

You stumbled back and slipped off the branch. You started falling, screaming all the way down. You saw a vine on one side of you and a tree on the other. You pushed off the tree and grabbed the vine, which tightened under the sudden weight. You held on and prayed that the plant wouldn't break.

(Chris POV)

Chris walked along the ground, to scared to go to the trees.

"As long as my feet are on the ground, I'm not gonna bang my head." He said to himself. He looked up at the branches above him.

"But I gotta get back up there."He told himself. As upset as he was about losing his climbing skills, he was more worried about (____). They never went into the trees without him. He doubted that (____) would go anywhere near the trees after that. The thing he couldn't believe was that despite a fear of falling, (____) would still jump off a two-hundred foot tall tree to try and save him.

"Where did (____) go, anyway? I haven't seen them since before I hit the ground." Chris said out loud. He hadn't seen them after the fall. He was really starting to worry, but cried out and ducked when something flew over his head- something bright red. He heard a thump and a groan, and looked behind him to see (____) had crashed into a tree and was falling away from it.

"(____)!" Chris yelled. He ran and caught (____) before they hit the ground. Then he laid them down and waited for them to wake up.

(reader POV)

You blinked your eyes open and saw Chris staring worriedly at you. You sat up, and found out your head was throbbing with pain. You grabbed your head with one hand and groaned. Chris gently pulled your hand away and inspected the injury.

"It doesn't look too serious, thankfully." He said. You tried to stand up , and stumbled. Chris caught you and held you up until you could regain your balance. You attempted to massage the pain out of your head, and winced when it didn't help. You and Chris heard some kind of static coming from your creaturepods, and Chris answered his.

"Do you think they fell?" Jimmy was asking worriedly. Clearly they were talking about Martin and you. Chris glanced at you, then started talking to the rest of the team.

"(____) did. But I'm not sure where Martin is." Chris said to everyone.

"Why don't you ask his climbing buddy?" Aviva said. Everyone looked at you, and you tried to recall what happened.

"Considering I just went flying off a vine and slammed into a tree, none of you are going to believe me." You said. A stab of pain went through your head, and you groaned again.

"Well, your the only one with any idea what happened to Martin, so, we're all ears." Koki said. You sighed and started explaining.

"Well, Martin and I were climbing after Zippy, but then I lost Martin. When I caught up to them, there was this weird vacuum-machine thingy that took both the lizards and Martin!" You said. Everyone stared at you in concern.

"I told you you wouldn't believe me." You said. Your head started to hurt again and you rubbed it.

"I tried to help him, really! But the machine that took him was too strong." You said. Aviva spoke up.

"(____), you hit your head pretty hard. You should come back to HQ. Chris, see if you can find Martin." She said. You face-palmed, but winced when it sent another wave of pain through your skull. Chris hung up the call and started in a random direction. Instead of heading toward the Tortuga, you followed closely behind Chris, stumbling a little on the first couple steps.

"Come on, Chris, you have to believe me!" You said. Chris looked back at you and sighed.

"You're not going back to HQ, are you?"

"Nope."

"Fine. Which way did you see this machine go?" Chris asked. You knew you couldn't get him to believe you, but you could at least show him where you last saw Martin. You walked over to the tree and pointed up.

"The last place I saw him before I fell was up there." You said. Chris looked up, and you saw fear creep into his gaze as he stared.

"That has to be the tallest tree in the rain forest!" He said. You nodded, trying not to let the moment you missed Chris's hand fill your mind again. You gripped your head as pain washed through it again, and you subconsciously took a couple of steps away from Chris. Even though he didn't act like it, you were still worried he might be mad you couldn't catch him.

(Chris POV)

Ever since Chris had found (____) again, they had been acting very strangely. To anyone else, that would have been expected from that kind of a crash. But Chris knew them better than that. He knew that the normal (____) would have stood up and brushed it off as soon as they woke up.

But not anymore. Now (____) was stepping a little ways away from Chris like they were scared, and acted like he was a tiger that could pounce any minute. Maybe they were mad at him? Chris wasn't sure, but he would talk to (____) about it later.

As weird as (____)'s story sounded, Chris felt like he should believe what they were saying. (____) would never lie, and even though they had an active imagination, they wouldn't make up a story that big. So Chris shoved his doubts to the back of his mind and followed (____).

When Chris and (____) reached the tree, Chris was immediately nervous. He hated the sight of how high the tree was, and didn't want to go up there. He looked over at (____) who was pointing up at the top of the tree, where Martin had been taken from. Chris sighed and shook his head.

(reader POV)

You felt embarrassed when you realized you had backed away from Chris. You walked back towards him.

"The trees in the Indonesian rain forest are some of the tallest in the world." He said to no one in particular

"But we have to get up there." You said, putting a hand on his shoulder comfortingly. He smiled at you, but the happiness quickly dissipated when he looked back up the tree. Suddenly, his eyes lit up, and you knew he had an idea. He started pressing buttons on his creaturepod.

"Aviva, let's activate the Tortuga wings and fly the HQ up to the canopy." Chris suggested. You nodded your approval. At least Chris could think straight today. Your head was hurting too much to even walk straight.

"Well we could, except we can't." Aviva said. You looked and Chris looked at each other, and you saw Chris was as confused as you were. You both looked back at Aviva.

"I pulled out all the solar panels this morning." Koki chimed in. "Nobody told me we'd have to fly in an hour. Tortuga is terrestrial today."

You and Chris looked at each other again, and Chris sighed and hung up.

"And so am I." He said. He looked over at you with a last light of hope in his eyes. You looked away and shifted between your feet.

"Sorry, Chris. My balance has been a little off since I hit that tree. And I'm not planning on a repeat of that." You said. He sat up against a tree and slid to the ground. Neither of you were going anywhere.

To Be Continued...