I clear my throat and advert my gaze. I didn't want it to last longer than necessary. Not that it needed to last to begin with. It shouldn't have even happened.

"You're wet," he announces.

My mind immediately goes elsewhere and the temperature of my cheeks increase drastically but the cold thankfully seemed to cover that up.

"We should go inside before you catch a cold," he smiles cheekily before taking my hand in his and leading me back to the house.

Maybe when I get inside all these mixed feelings would disappear. I know that's near impossible, but can I just blame the cold weather for whatever emotions I had?

•- Austin Wood -•

I'd directed her towards the nearest bathroom while I make my way to my childhood room to change.

It was weird to step foot inside. My grandparents lived here full time and until the passing of my grandmother, I'd slept here countless occasions granting me the full access of my own bedroom. But when my grandfather was placed in a home, I took the keys and made it my place to think. It was calming during the spring and summer with the creek that passed just outside the office. I hadn't been up here during the winter for years since this area was more common for blizzards especially in the beginning weeks of winter.

I change from the clothes I'd brought and into a pair of jeans and a loose white t-shirt. There was no point to come up here for nothing more than an hour or two five or take. That was the point in leaving so early this morning.

I make my way back to the living room to find Laine sitting on the couch in her dry set of clothes. Even in the simplest attire, I found her to be the most sexy woman I'd ever met.

"You want anything?" I ask, approaching the back of the couch slowly.

She looks up, a smile on those perfect lips, and shakes her head.

I nod in response and walk around the couch to her side.

"Get up," I state, making her raise an eyebrow.

"Why the hell should I do that?" She asks, turning away from her phone to look at me.

I frown, "Because, I want to cuddle?" I reply, not caring how desperate or needy it may sound.

She groans but pushes her body one cushion over. I take a seat where she'd been and she turns her body to curl up next to me.

Laine flattens her hair before resting her gentle head on my chest.

"For someone who seems to have a stuck up their ass, you aren't a dickwad. All the time at least."

I laugh gently as my arm positions itself around her body. I never really noticed how small she really was. I guess I was never in the position to look but with her perfectly curled beside me, it was hard not to.

"Do you forget I still sign your paychecks?" I ask, making her turn her head up at me.

"Do you forget that I'm going to get a raise?" She retorts, making me roll my eyes.

I wouldn't let her win. I was simply getting her ready to give in. There was a strategy to it. Once she felt comfortable enough, or at least attracted to me to some extent, I could make the final move.

I didn't feel the need to continue a conversation so I opt to running my hands through her hair.

She grabs her phone again and unlocks it to the home screen, making me laugh. "Really, Laine?"