Chapter 23

Jay’s P.O.V.

“Look Jacky, I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while now and I know it may seem so sudden in our relationship but there’s a question I have to ask you” I begin to ask the question I’d been nervous about asking all night. I go into my jacket pocket and slowly pull out a small square box and Jacky’s face suddenly turns to one of shock.

“Jay don’t do this, there’s something I have to tell you first” Jacky starts but I put my first finger to her mouth to hush her.

“You can tell me afterwards” I say still smiling, hoping she’ll say yes to my question. I then continue. “Jacky, will you move in with me?” I ask her and open the box to reveal a personalised key with the word ‘Jacky’ written in fancy writing on it.

“Jay for a second there I thought you were going to propose to me” she says sounding quite relieved which disappointed me a bit. What if I had actually been proposing? What would she had of said then?

“But I didn’t” I say as she had now gone silent.

“I know, of course I’ll move in with you Jay, I will. But you see the thing is, I can’t. Not yet anyway” she tells me. What the hell is wrong with her?

“You’re not moving back toIrelandare you?” I ask her worried at what she might say to this.

“No, no. You see the thing is, I’ve been meaning to tell you for a while now but you know how I’m a model? Well they’ve asked me to go toMilanfor a few days. It’ll only be a few days but please don’t be mad at me for not telling you. I had a lot on my mind and I didn’t want to hurt your feelings be telling you I had to go.” Jacky tells me. I’m shocked at this. Not the fact that she has to leave for a few days but the fact she thinks I would ever be mad at her for something like this!

“Jacky” I begin and place my hand on the side of her face. “I could never be mad at you for leaving. I mean, it’s you job! It’s not your fault, at least you’ve told me and that’s all that matters. Look I know you’ve had so much on your plate for the last week or so what with all your past memories coming up and not knowing how to tell me so I completely understand. Infact I think it’s so sweet that you cared about hurting me! Jacky I love you and I don’t think really anything would hurt me if you did it” I continue “as long as you’re not cheating on me of course” I say cheekily with a wink to cheer her up.

“Oh Jay, I’m so glad you understand, I was so scared how you’d react but, thank you! The only other things is, I have to leave tomorrow.” She tells me. Tomorrow? I have to take a minute to take this in, finally I gather myself together and speak.

“Look that’s fine with me. Like I said it’s not your fault, and I’ll still be waiting for you when you come back. I’m not going anywhere, I’m not changing, I’ll still be the same old Jay. The same old Jay that loves you just the way you are.” I tell her. “And here’s your key for when you come back.” I add on the end and smile pushing the key towards her on the table. She takes it up in her hand, inspects it for a moment and then puts it in the box that I also got customized. She then gets her bag that is next to her on our seats and rummages through it for a few moments until she then pulled out a square box that was bigger than the box I got her, but not massively huge.

“This is for you. I bought it so when I have to go away on jobs you’ll remember me. I hope you like it, I mean it’s not as good as asking me to move in but…oh just look at it!” she said, a smile now forming on her face. I slowly unwrapped the box and opened it to reveal a silver watch lain on some velvet cushioned material. I didn’t normally wear watches but when I picked it up and looked at the centre there was the words ‘Jay & Jacky’ entwined in some fancy writing. I then turned the watch over to look at the back and those words were also engraved on the back of the watch. I could feel tears threatening to fill up my eyes. It wasn’t the fact she’d given me a gift but it was the gift itself. It was beautiful. It made me suddenly realise that Jacky was the one and as I looked into her eyes, I couldn’t have been more certain of this.

“Thankyou Jacky, it’s amazing. I love it. Infact I love you” I said placing the watch on my wrist and then reaching over to hold Jacky’s hand for a few moments where I then ran my thumb slowly and softly over the back of her hand. I gazed into her eyes for a few moments longer until I leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips.

“I really do love you Jacky” I said in between kisses.

“I love you to Jay” she said and we kissed for a few moments longer until our deserts arrived.