27: Gray

"What about this one, Harry?" Zayn question just as a loud crack of thunder sounded from outside.

"Which one?"

Zayn took his hand and put it to one of the pillows on the shelves so he could feel over it.

"Ooh. Yes. That's really nice. So soft and fun. What color is this one?"

"White."

"Does it come in any other colors?"

He checked the tag. "Yes. It comes in Penny Brown, Forrest Green, and Aubergine which is in the purple family. Aubergine is an eggplant color."

"Hmm. Brown, Green and purple." He repeated as he thought for a moment. "I don't really have a preference for this and Mindy usually likes to be the one to choose these things. What do you think?"

"What do I think? What do you mean?"

"Would white go well with what I already have?"

Zayn put his hands behind his back and stood up on his tip toes before letting himself down again. He didn't know too much about home decor and he had told Harry that before. But he did like the idea of having his opinion matter when it came to something that was going in Harry's home.

"I think the white is cool if you like it. But I also think the brown one matches the furniture in your living room the most."

"Okay. Then if you say it matches, I trust your judgment. Can you jot that one down and put it at the top of the list?

"Absolutely."

He used his phone to take the information down in his notes, making sure to accurately record the name, product number and color options. Just as he saved it and pushed the phone down in his back pocket, they heard a scream and hard thud inside the store. Someone yelled out in agony and then suddenly there was the cry of a baby."

"What's happening?" Harry asked in a panic.

"I'm not sure. Wait here while I go check."

"No, Zayn. Wait."

Instead of waiting, Zayn rushed to the end of the aisle and looked towards the direction of where he heard the noise. Right away he saw a woman lying out on her back and a baby on her chest. He rushed to her aid at the same time one of the female employees did so he stopped and waited for the employee to make a decision.

"Ma'am, I'm so sorry. There should have been a wet floor sign here. Are you okay?"

"No. Not at all. I think I've broken my hip and hurt my elbow."

"Oh no. Well, you just stay right there. I'll go call for help."

She hurried behind the counter for a phone and Zayn realized that he was still the only customer standing near her while many others were keeping a safe distance. The woman's baby was still crying so he bent down next to her.

"Hi, ma'am. My name is Zayn. What's your name?"

"Ruby."

"Ruby. That's pretty. This is your daughter, right?"

She winced in pain. "Why do you want to know? Do you work here?"

"No. And I'm sorry. I don't mean to be intrusive, Ruby. I just noticed that she's scared and so I was wondering if I could hold her until help arrives. Just to comfort her. I promise."

The woman was still clutching her baby girl close to her. But she also knew that she sensed something was wrong. She did not want to scare her any more than she already was.