8: Clever Egghead

The first time Zayn ever moved out, it was to go away to college. So when he was preparing to live on his own, there were some things he didn't need to worry about buying. For example, a lawnmower. When he was staying at his tiny one bedroom apartment, the landlord hired landscapers to cut the grass on the regular. So he never had to worry about that. Now that he was on his own, his grass was his responsibility.

In order to take care of that responsibility and get his grass cut before it grew into a jungle and swallowed his home, Zayn had to borrow his father's lawn mower. On the bright side, Yaser's mower was a riding mower. So he didn't need to push by hand the way that Liam did when he cut Harry's yard last week. So he just happened to be riding that mower, when a small navy blue car pulled up in his driveway. He recognized the visitor right away and turned off the motor. Out stepped a man in glasses.

"Hey, Louis!"

"Hey!" He said excitedly and he made his way across the grass. "I see you have a trailer in the driveway."

"It's my dad's trailer." He said. "I borrowed his lawn mower so I can cut, ya know."

Louis finally walked up to him. "Yeah. I see. The yard looks good."

"Thanks but I'm only three quarters of the way finished. The front door is unlocked. So if you wanna go inside and chill, go ahead."

He put his hands in his pockets. "Sure. Thanks."

"You're welcome. Also, if you're thirsty, help yourself to whatever you find in the refrigerator."

He nodded. "Okay."

Louis walked off across the grass to get to the pathway and Zayn started the lawn mower again. As he cut, he was trying his best to register this. Louis was at his house. The last time Louis came to his house was at least four years ago. It felt kind of weird actually having him here after so long.

He finished mowing the yard as fast as he could, then parked the lawn mower on the side of the house. He had a ramp that he was supposed to use when he was ready to put it back up on the trailer, but he opted to wait and just do that tomorrow when he woke up.

When he came in the house, he found Louis sitting​ up on his living room couch.

"What's up Louis?"

"I just noticed these are the pillows you bought at the home decor store next to my job."

"Yeah. How did you know that?"

"I saw them in your bag when I hugged you that day."

"Oh. Good eye, Lou."

"So anyway, I know you weren't expecting me to show up here today."

He chuckled and held his hands out. "Of course not. But I'm excited to have you here. Feels like old times. What did you want?"

"Do you work in your dad's shop on Saturdays?"

He shrugged. "It depends. Although definitely not every Saturday."

"Well do you have to work tomorrow?"

"Nope."

"Let's hang out tonight, then."

Zayn frowned. "Hang out? Why?"

"So we can meet people. Sitting here by myself for twenty minutes only tells me how lonely it must be to live here. I mean I knew you didn't have your game systems and stuff anymore but I still didn't expect this level of boring. You should find you a girl to take up an evening of your time."

"I'm not lonely here. I'm just fine by myself. Plus I have a TV I can watch. Once I save up enough money, then I'll buy all the stuff I had before. But right now, I'm busy."