10: Odd Suggestion

"Hello?"

"Hiya there."

"What's up, Harry?"

"What are you doing?"

"Putting dishes away."

"Oh. So does that mean you're too busy to talk right now?"

Zayn opened a cabinet and put away a plate. "I answered the phone, didn't I?"

"Ah, so you did. But I hope your sarcasm means you're ready to have a nice chat with me about what I said we'd be talking about."

"Uh... It doesn't."

"But Zayn. I gave you a full twenty four hours. Surely that's enough time to recall something you did."

Zayn folded one arm and held it up by enclosing his hand and wrist under the opposite armpit. "Why do you want to know so bad? How is my romance supposed to help you?"

"It helps me learn about you and what you're like, which I'm trying to do since that was the deal when we agreed to do this. So can I?"

Zayn groaned and stepped away from the dishwasher for a moment. How did Harry expect him to answer that? With a no? Well, he couldn't say no to him. Not for that. "Yes you can. Ask away, Harry."

His voice came in cheerful through the receiver. "Okay. I just want to know what's the most romantic thing you've ever done in a relationship?"

Zayn sat down at the kitchen table. "Um... Well... Let's see. I'm trying to remember because that wasn't something I did often."

"Take your time. But not too long because ya know... It is late."

"Thanks to you." Zayn said but he made sure to put a little extra pitch in his voice so Harry would know he was doing more joking than assigning blame. Thankfully, Harry understood what he was doing.

"Yes. And I wouldn't have to if your family had not been so lovely yesterday." He let out a happy sigh. "I'm still buzzing about how well they treated me."

Zayn felt something weird go through his body. It wasn't tingles and it wasn't shivers. But it sure was different. Maybe it was a pull. "So I know what I want to tell you about."

"Perfect." Harry said excitedly. "What?"

"The most romantic thing I remember doing is buying my girlfriend's birthday cake and after we and our friends ate it, me and her just escaped from our friends and sat outside on the college campus' front lawn to watch the stars."

Harry gasped. "Wait! I forgot you said you went to college. I wanna know more."

Zayn paused. "Well, um, I would share more but we're not talking about that. We're talking about romance."

"Okay. But we're definitely going to talk about that another day, right?"

"Sure." He said reluctantly.

He could hear him squeal. "Go on about your romantic moment."

"Right. We itched like crazy after that from the mosquitoes and grass but it was worth it. At least it was then. Now, not so much. Or even at all. More like a waste of time."

"Wow, Zayn. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you completely regret it."

"I do. You have no idea."

"So give me one."

He shook his head even though he knew Harry wouldn't know it. "What do you want me say?"

"What was her name?"

"H... Heidi." He said in a hushed tone.

"Heidi. That's a very pretty name. I bet she was just as pretty."