16: You Never Know...

"Are you okay?" Louis asked when he saw Zayn standing outside the pet shop with his hands in his jean pockets.

"I think so."

"Well, I have to ask. Asking me to meet you after work is strange. Can't lie and say it doesn't scare me too, cause I feel like it's about me."

"Sorry." Zayn huffed. "I'm not trying to scare you and it's not about you either. Do you think we could go inside the home decor store and talk? I need a hallway rug."

Louis lowered his shoulders in defeat. "Fine. After I go put my things in my car. Wait here."

While Louis put his backpack in the car, Zayn waited for him at the entrance. He couldn't believe he was about to explain to Louis the things that had been happening lately when he didn't even want him to know about Harry just yet. But Louis was the only person he trusted with this sort of new information. And even now, Zayn was terrified he might take it in the wrong way.

"Okay." Louis said and he was out of breath because he came rushing back. "What do you want to talk about?"

Zayn went in through the doors. "About me. I'm in a situation I've never been in before and I need advice."

Louis was shocked that Zayn came to him of all people. What was it that Zayn felt he was equipped enough to handle. "Oh. Well, I'm happy to help. What can I do?"

Zayn tried to be careful in choosing his words in the beginning. "Since I've moved back, I've met someone whom I've come to know as a really good person inside and out. At first, I was just really curious about them because they were so interesting and different. But as I really got to know them, I know that I want something more. Maybe a relationship. The thing is, I'm nervous about saying anything because it's so new."

Louis put his hands behind his back and let a smile play on his face. "Zayn, I'm proud of you. I didn't know you had met someone. That's amazing. What is she like?"

He would've carried on with the "she" pronoun to make it easier on himself but he also would've felt guilty misleading him. "I didn't say it was a girl."

"But is it?"

He took a moment to say it. "No."

Louis stopped what he was doing and quickly pulled him into the nearest aisle. "Well, if it's not a girl, that means it's a boy. Another man. Right?"

He nodded and Louis brought his arms to the front of his body so he could fold them.

"Wow. That's... Something. I never expected you to say that."

"You don't feel different about me, do you?"

"No. Of course not. You can like whoever you want. But... If you're talking about me, I've already told you, I'm not into you like that. I'm into girls and only girls, Zayn."

Zayn rolled his eyes. "It isn't you that I like. It's someone else."

"You're not saying that just because I rejected you, right? Because you did seem pretty offended after that whole Maitea ordeal when I said I wouldn't date you."

He laughed. "Well, a lot of people would date their best friend because it's someone they know and trust, regardless of gender. So yeah, I did wonder why you were so sure. But I assure you I'm not talking about you, Lou. I'm talking about my next door neighbor."

"Next door neighbor. Hmm, that's spicy. How did you actually meet him?"

"When I went outside for a smoke one night. He came out of the house to take out the trash and I was really rude to him."