4: Ridding The Rue

Unfortunately for Zayn, things didn't always go according to the way he wished. Clearly, he had just gotten lucky the first two times because he was not able to accurately predict what time Harry would be bringing out his trash or on what days. So for the next two weeks, he missed seeing Harry at all. One evening, he did peek out of his blinds and saw Mindy go into Harry's house. But Harry never came out. Zayn was much too worried about being embarrassed to ask her about Harry and besides that, he was still one hundred percent sure he didn't want to be the weird neighbor.

So the next time Zayn saw Harry wasn't when he was on his smoke break at all. It happened to be in the unlikeliest place he had ever thought of.

"Let's see... Pillowcases... No that's​ curtains. I need pillowcases. Where are the-"

His thought was interrupted when someone stepped out in front of his shopping cart and was knocked down. He didn't want to be rude and let whoever it was get up by themselves, so he rushed around the cart. Just as he was reaching for their hand to help them up, a voice confirmed their identity.

"Harry!" A females voice called.

Zayn's head shot up when he recognized it was Mindy.

"Well... I think I've just been hit by a shopping cart."

Zayn panicked. Of all the people in the world, he hit Harry? He hit a blind man. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Harry. I didn't see you. I didn't mean to. I was thinking out loud and not paying attention and I didn't see you."

Harry smiled as both Zayn and Mindy helped him up. "If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see you either."

Mindy laughed at his joke, but Zayn couldn't see the humor. He'd just knocked Harry down with his shopping cart. Harry could have broken a kneecap or something. How was that funny?

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"I've learned not to ask." Mindy commented. "If he gets up and the first thing he does is make a joke, he's fine. If he doesn't, he's hurt. He hates when people ask if he's okay."

"Why?" Zayn asked.

"Because he thinks it means that people only pay closer attention when he falls because he's blind. Harry believes in himself, which is good, but he can be stubborn at times when it comes to help. Always has been."

"Hello, I'm right here."

"Yeah, we know. Um... I remember that you're Harry's neighbor. What was your name again?"

"Zayn. Zayn Malik."

"That's​ right. It sure is. Could you do me a favor?"

"Sure, what?"

"I was just about to run to the ladies' room but he hates when I drag him there with me. Do you mind staying here with him until I get back? I'll be quick."

Zayn shook his head. Of course he wouldn't mind. He'd been trying to talk to Harry alone for two weeks now. "No, I don't mind. Go ahead."

"Will you be okay, Harry?"

"Yes. I can handle myself."

"As long as you don't have to stand outside the bathroom door, right?"

Harry chuckled. "Yep. Now go."

She rushed off as fast as she could go without running and Zayn went behind his shopping cart so he could push it onto the aisle. "So I didn't figure I would run into you in Walmart."

"Literally."

Zayn did manage a smile at that one. "Embarrassing."

"That's alright. So what are you here for?"