17: Green

Three days had passed since that night when Zayn had gone to bed and spent the rest of it thinking about letting Harry know how he felt. Since he hadn't seen him, some of that newfound confidence had decreased dramatically. It wasn't that he didn't like him anymore. He still liked him just as much. He just wasn't so ready to blurt out the truth yet. He'd rather take his time and get there naturally.

So whenever he showed up at Harry's house and was reminded of those thoughts he had just 72 hours ago, he knew he had to disguise his feelings very well. Harry didn't have to know how he looked at him. He didn't have to know how excited he got every time he heard him welcome him into his home.

"Alright. Done. I didn't find anything."

"How are you done?" You just went looking five minutes ago. Why do I get the feeling you're not really looking for those cigarettes anymore?"

Zayn held his hands out and let them fall at his sides. Probably because I'm not."

"Harry stood up from the couch. "Fine, then. If you don't want to look, then we might as well go on and leave for the park. I'll go put my shoes on. You go get the stuff we need and take it outside."

"Okay."

Zayn took his blindfold off of his head and he went into the kitchen. A cooler was sitting on the counter already packed with food and a blanket was folded up underneath it. He picked them both up and took them out to the car. By the time he came back, Harry was there with his shoes on and a key on a clip in his hand.

"Ready?"

"Yes."

"Let's go then."

Together, they went outside and after Harry locked the door with his key, he let Zayn guide him to his car. He really didn't need Zayn's help to get from the house to the end of the sidewalk but he wanted it this time and he purposely chose not to remind Zayn he could do it on his own.

"I haven't had a picnic in so long." Harry told him as they pulled off from the side of the curve.

"Me either."

"The last time I picnicked, it was when my grandma took me to the park as a kid, specifically to do that."

"Oh. Nice. I went with my family a few summers ago before Safaa started college. So it wasn't that long ago. We couldn't really enjoy it though because it started to rain. The clouds just came out of nowhere. But then again, that was our fault for planning an outdoor activity without looking at the weather first."

"Yeah. It is. But now I have to ask. Did you look at the weather today?"

"Of course I did. It's supposed to stay sunny all day."

"Good. Because I'm fairly certain that soggy sandwiches would not be a good meal."

"Right."

They laughed about that before sitting back and enjoying the ride. As always the journey to their destination seemed to fly by quickly and the next thing they knew, they were at the park and searching for a place to sit and eat lunch.

"I think we should settle here." Zayn said.

"Here? Where is here?"

"We're in the grass but we're also next to a huge tree and there's a wild rosebush growing next to it."

"Oh. That's sounds nice. Okay. Sure. Are we close to anyone?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Just curious. I can hear talking."

"Oh yeah. There's a family a little ways away from us." He sat the cooler on the ground. "Hand me the blanket and I'll lay it out for us."

Harry reached out in the direction of his voice and handed it to him.