23: Rewrite

"At first she was going to fight Liam on it. But they had a talk and she decided that she'd let him buy the dress and pay for the entire wedding like he wants to. Her mother is going to help get things for her reception so she'll still be able to use her money to help Mindy on her big day."

"Very nice."

"Compromise is a beautiful thing."

"And the dress?"

"Also beautiful. It was really cool getting to feel it. It's got lots of beads and diamonds on it. Lucky her that she gets to marry a man with a lot of money and who's willing to pay for such an expensive dress."

"Yes. True. Can't wait to see it when she walks down the aisle."

"And Liam too."

"Oh yeah, I'm sure."

He giggled into the receiver. "Zayn."

"Hm?"

"You said earlier when I first called that you wanted to tell your parents about us."

"Yeah."

"And I'm okay with that. That's why I agreed and moved on with the conversation. I want them to know about you and what's going on in your life. But at the same time what will you do if they're not okay with it?"

"What do you mean? I don't think they'd be against it."

"But what if they were. Would you still like me and want to date me?"

He smiled. "Yes. I would. At the end of the day, I am an adult. I can make my own decisions."

"But you work for your dad. He's your means of living."

"I know that. It still wouldn't matter. But as I said, I doubt it's an issue. Remember they met you and they liked you."

"Yeah. As your friend. Not as your boyfriend. They might not like me as that for you."

Zayn exhaled quietly. "What would help you to see that everything is alright?"

"Nothing. If you come back and you act funny around me, I'll know. But if things are the same, I'll know that too."

Zayn chuckled. "And don't be surprised when it's the latter."

"Okay."

He looked toward the house. "I'm going to have to hang up the phone. I'm outside my parents' house. Tell Mindy I said hello before she leaves."

"I will. And you tell your family I said hello too."

"I will."

"Thinking of you."

"And you, always."

"Bye."

Zayn hung up the phone, then looked toward his parents' house. He hadn't been sure of exactly why he was invited to come over for dinner tonight, but he did decide on the way over that it was an appropriate time to tell his family about his relationship with Harry. They'd become official and his friends now knew. So there was no reason for him to hide from his family how much he did care for Harry and really liked him. And he truly believed that they would find nothing wrong with him doing so either.

He got out of the car and made his way up to the house, thinking he would have time to think about what he wanted to say. But the door opened up to him before he could ring the doorbell. Safaa was there.

"Hey, Zayn!"

"Hey. Were you watching me?"

"Yep. I heard you pull up in the driveway. I thought you were coming up earlier."