I looked up at him from my spot on the floor. "Ben, Uma's a power hungry little punk. Trust me, there's no reasoning with her."

I leaned my head back against the wall, closing my eyes as I began to sing off the top of my head.

"I'd like to say we gave it a try
I'd like to blame it all on life
Maybe we just weren't right,
But that's a lie, that's a lie

And we can deny it as much as we want
But in time our feelings will show
'Cause sooner or later
We'll wonder why we gave up
The truth is everyone knows

Almost, almost is never enough
So close to being in love
If I would have known that you wanted me
The way I wanted you

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart
But right here in each others arms
Here we almost, we almost knew what love was
But almost is never enough

If I could change the world overnight
There'd be no such thing as goodbye
You'll be standing right where you were
And we'd get the chance we deserve

Try to deny it as much as you want
But in time our feelings will show
'Cause sooner or later
We'll wonder why we gave up
Truth is everyone knows

Almost, almost is never enough
We were so close to being in love
If I would have known that you wanted me, the way I wanted you 

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart
But right here in each others arms

And we almost, we almost knew what love was
But almost is never enough."

As I had been singing, I had forgotten that Ben was there. So when he spoke to me, I jolted in surprise.

"That was beautiful, Freddy," he said.

I just nodded, wiping my tears away.

Kneeling in front of me, Ben put his hand on my knee. "Don't worry. We're gonna get out of here and we're gonna find Mal. I promise."

Suddenly there was the jingle of keys, and Harley came running down the stairs. As she darted up to us, Ben immediately jumped to his feet, his face hostile and his guard up, but I quickly pushed him back.

"It's okay, she's a friend," I said to him.

"Listen," Harley said, unlocking the cell door. "I can only get one of you out right now, or else Uma would get suspicious of me."

"Ben, you go," I said to him. "Auradon needs–"

"No, Freddy, it has to be you," Ben said. "Uma knows you know how to get out. But she also knows I don't." When I just looked at him he put his hand on my shoulder. "It'll be okay. I'll be here when you come back for me."

"Freddy, we gotta go," Harley urged.

I nodded, then walked out of the cell and followed Harley down to the abandoned sewer system. She opened the porthole, then gestured for me to get inside.

"I'll see you later, Alfredo," she said, giving me a quick hug.

"Take care of him," I said, nodding once at Ben before I ducked into the pipe and crawled along the floor. Then I kept going, following the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I was outside, I looked around to make sure that no one was around, then spun around and ran off.

And bumped right into Mal.

"Freddy!" Mal said, suddenly embracing me in a hug. "Oh my god, I'm so glad you're okay."

I was shocked by her sudden empathy, but didn't question it. Instead I hugged her tightly, glad that I had her back - even if it was for just a little while.

Evie, Carlos, and Jay quickly ran up to us, also embracing me in hugs. I had never felt so relieved to see them in my life.

"How did you get out?" Evie asked.

"Yeah, there had to be at least twenty of Uma's wharf rats over there," Carlos agreed.

"I didn't," I explained. "Harley did. She got me out."

Mal and my friends all sighed in relief.

"That girl is an actual blessing," Evie said.

"Yeah, I can't believe she's still helping us out after all this time," Jay said.

"Guys, guys, focus." Mal turned to me. "Where's Ben?"

I hesitated. "He's still there. Harley could only get one of us out, and she said it'd be less suspicious if it was me..." I trailed off, expecting Mal to blow up at me. But instead she sighed.

"Let's head back to the warehouse," Mal said. "We need to figure out how to get Ben back."

━━━━━━━ ❃ ━━━━━━━

A/N: This chapter was, uh... interesting.

Haha anyway, I'm probably gonna be double updating today, so hopefully you guys will enjoy the next chapter :)