CHAPTER 25

And the rage in his voice startled them. Startled so much that they actually stopped and silenced. And that background voice of a woman screaming became clear. Suraj got suspicious about it!

"What is happening there!?!?!"

"Why is that woman screaming so much!?!?"

At the back of his head, he feared that may be something bad was being done to her. Because whatever their encounter revealed till now, he couldn't think anything good about them.

However, he was clear it was not Chakor!

The dacoits were silent and so were the others. It was only Suraj's and the voice of that woman audible there. 

After a lot of effort from Suraj, the dacoit leader finally uttered, "That lady is..."

As soon as he reached this point, a shrill cry of a baby filled the place.

As they heard the baby cry, the whole community danced in joy...and the drums were played again. They started celebrating. 

Things were obvious but Suraj was still confused! So he again shouts, "STOP IT!!!! WILL ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE!"

The leader of the dacoits said, "A lady of our community has just delivered a baby!", a smile formed on all the other faces there except Suraj! He was not getting any trace of Chakor. There was sudden hub-hub in the tent from where that woman's voice was coming and all looked in that direction. 

There came Chakor, with a baby boy in her hand wrapped in a white towel. Firstly Suraj couldn't make out what or whom he just saw, but as soon as he realized, he raised his eye only to see his Chakor there. Those tears finally came up, who he had restrained since long. Sigh! Tears soaked in. Confusion took over. Every one astonished!

Chakor handed over the baby to a man, whose expressions said that he was the father of that child. And everyone again danced in joy! And this time everyone means everyone. She was happy.

On moving her eyes around the place and looking at her wrist watch, she realized what the time was. She looked around and found Suraj with others tied there. She almost shouted, "Suraj! You!? Here!?"

The dacoits looked at her expression and approached her, "Madam! They were trying to kill us! These villagers always interrupt in our happiness!!"

Chakor almost glared at him, "He is my husband! Damn!"

And soon the Revelation turned the world upside down for the dacoits!...they shocked to hell..had there mouths left open...!!!

Chakor, "What have you done to them?? Please open the ropes!?"

And whole community ran to open the ropes. And apologized million times for misbehaving with them. After they were released, Chakor ran to Suraj and hugged him. He felt as if he got his escaped life back!! And she was happy being in her best shelter. But shocking became the situation, when Suraj removed her from the embrace and backed off. 

She was shocked and so were others from the training institute that included Chakor's classmates and one professor. 

However, to lighten up the situation the professor approached, "Chakor! Where were you!? Don't you know how scared he was!? And what are you doing here!?"

Chakor one by one answered," Sir it so happened! That in the morning, I came in the woods for the morning walk. It was almost after a kilometer walk when I heard a woman groaning of pain! When I moved in the direction, I saw that some of these people were taking this woman to the hospital using the worst transport mean, that is 80 km away from here. She was having labour pain, and if delayed in her delivery, she could even die on the way. After making hundred attempts to call the ambulance, I with some other ladies here, decided to do the delivery here!And here it is!"

And hearing this almost everyone started clapping for her. He saved two lives today! Did what an IAS OFFICER is meant to do! 

The dacoit continued, " We pray to God when any of our mother gives birth, in this way. Once she delivers, we celebrate! We are apologizing for the misbehaviour as we thought that you all have come to kill us and abandon us of our land! That's why we tried to stop you all!"

Professor, "No we understood the situation! Ultimately everything's fine now. Congratulations for the baby boy!"

Suraj as if Chakor isn't visible, " May I know what is the reason for this enemity between villagers and this community!"

 Villagers, "Because they are dacoits!"

Dacoit, "We are dacoits but aren't snatching your land. (To Suraj) Sir, we are living peacefully here, but we have been named dacoits because these people don't accept us as humans just because we don't endulge in their social customs!"

A discussion was held and Suraj acted as a mediator in resolving the disputes between the communities and he was successful. 

Then everyone decided to go back to the camp side. In all the while, Suraj didn't talk to Chakor. Even the professor requested him to forgive Chakor this time, but he simply said, "Sorry sir! I think we should go. Tonight we have to head to another destination!"

The camp brightened up seeing Chakor back with Suraj, however in no time, everyone knew Suraj was extremely angry at Chakor. As they reached, he directly entered his tent, without saying a single word to anyone.

The warden headed towards Chakor, "Dear! Are you alright!?! You know what was Suraj's condition!! He turned so vulnerable without you!!" 

Another girl, "Yes Chakor! If it was not Suraj sir, we would have lost the hope of finding you!!"

Chakor was feeling bad, on how she troubled Suraj. He was in such a good mood last night and today she hasn't seen him smiling even. 

She didn't do anything deliberately and she was well aware why he was behaving this way. 

The warden asked Chakor to talk to him and persuade him. He will definitely pardon her!

Chakor went in the tent and saw him sitting there, by a support, his hand rested on his head and eyes were focused up. She slowly went and sat near him. Sighing she began, " Suraj! It was situational. I know that it would have been better if I would have went with you. But I saw you sleeping silently. How can I disturb you!?!Just keep yourself at my place! You'll understand!"

No words from him.

She said, "C'mon Suraj! You love me naaa! Just pardon me this time!! I will never leave you like this again!"

He simply stood up, took out a towel from his bag and went out. Chakor tried to stop him, "Suraj!!" but he left!

At the lunch time, she deliberately sat near Suraj. He didn't go away because that could be insulting for her when everyone is sitting around. But he didn't utter a word.

Today, Chakor learned another thing about him. If he was angry at her, it would seem that he is angry with everyone else also. The other people couldn't digest his gloomy face, which usually makes other lit in happiness. 

Just when he was about to have food, Chakor noticed bruises on her hands and there was redness all around. 

She immediately became alert, "Mother, see he has bruises! Please give me the first aid box."

When the warden brought the first aid box, Suraj took it before anyone could, "I can do!" and left from there, with his food.