Chapter 3: The Deal

Sakura looked down into a microscope her eyes intense. The surrounding group held their breath except Mizu who leaned against the wall composed. After the stunt she pulled Temari cuffed her. Once Mizu explained to Sakura that she'd given the boy the cure to the virus Sakura took them back to the experiment room to examine the vial.

"It... really is the cure," Sakura stood up from the microscope. "How did you find this?"

The pink haired girl turned to the older woman. Sakura grimaced feeling defeated.

"I didn't find it. I made it and I can show you how," Mizu rocked back and forth on her heels looking at the ceiling.

Temari stepped forward her hands on her hips, "You'll show us? Just like that?"

"Well, no, I expect to be paid for it," Mizu replied bluntly.

Temari scowled and turned to Sakura, "Can you remake it without her help?"

Sakura looked down at the microscope, "No... not quickly enough to save the sickest ones."

"How much are you asking for?" Gaara interjected.

He no longer cared what deal he needed to make so long as he could save his village. If she was asking for money, he would figure something out without the council's approval, even if he need to pay her himself.

"Room and board for me and my pet while we're here. Also, a guard for when I go hunting for herbs and exemption from any taxes or licenses to sell my wares in country and village," Mizu listed off.

The room grew silent waiting for more demands but the woman stood there not saying another word.

"What else?" Gaara finally spoke his eyes narrowing.

"That will be plenty sufficient," Mizu tilted her head.

She's serious! Doesn't she understand that she could extort our village for a lot right now?!

"Oh! No, there was one more thing," Mizu tapped her chin.

"Thought so and what's that?" Temari asked all business now.

"You still owe me dinner," She pointed at Gaara.

They looked at her dumbfounded.

"You were serious about that?" Gaara frowned.

"I am always serious when it involves food," Mizu huffed.

"D-do you know who you're talking to?" Temari's face went red.

Mizu looked at Gaara and frowned, "A young insomniac ninja?"

The room grew silent once more.

"You really don't know do you?" Sakura scratched her face looking uncomfortable.

"This is Gaara the Fifth Kazekage of the sand village," Temari waved her hand exasperated.

Mizu looked unimpressed, "I see. Then I suppose he's not hard pressed for cash and can afford to buy me dinner."

"You-," Temari's face was red.

"Alright, I accept your terms," Gaara interrupted.

Temari turned around then grabbed the collar of her little brother shirt and whispered so only he could hear.

"Gaara you can't be serious what if she's some sort of spy or assassin," Temari's face was scary.

Ugh Temari's gotten scarier as she'd gotten more comfortable with me. I can't tell if that's a good or bad thing.

"You really think an assassin could kill me? Besides, she's not a ninja I didn't feel any Chakra coming from her earlier," Gaara replied turning his face from Temari's.

"You might be able to give her exemptions but the council won't approve funds for room and board with everything going on," Temari hissed.

Gaara paused and thought about that, "Just put her in the guest room at my house then."

Temari's face went white. The look Gaara gave her was completely innocent. She'd forgotten lately how antisocial her little brother is. He probably meant nothing bad by it but he just casually agreed to let some strange woman stay in his house. What would the villagers say about this?

"Are you too in that kind of relationship?" Mizu put her hand over her mouth and laughed like an old lady.

Temari sprang back blushing, "He's my little brother."

Mizu looked at her disappointed, "That's boring."

Gaara walked over to Mizu and held out his hand, "I'll accept your terms."

Mizu grasped his hand around the handcuffs. Then noticed how dark his eyes were as he glared at her.

"But if you hurt my people, I won't hesitate to slaughter you," Gaara's were so dark both Sakura and Temari shivered instinctively.

Mizu seemed unperturbed, "Scary and noted."

Her lack of reaction to his threat threw Gaara off. The sound of Mizu's stomach growling loudly pulled him back to earth. Temari unlocked her handcuffs. Mizu and Sakura spoke about herbs that Gaara couldn't pronounce as Sakura took notes.

When Sakura finished getting the details of the cure, she looked up at Gaara, "It should be possible to make this here. However, some herbs we need don't grow in this village we must send someone to get them. The vial Uta-san is giving us, though, should be able to return the critical patients to normal."

"Noted, Temrai tell Kankuro's team to go with a group of medics to retrieve the herbs," Gaara ordered.

Temari nodded and dashed out of the room. Mizu stood there as Sakura went back to work compiling the things she would need to start the treatment. She told Gaara and Mizu that she would call on them if she needed anything.

"Dinner then?" Mizu looked at Gaara expectantly.

Her stomach growled louder this time and Gaara nodded slowly. He led the way out of the hospital.

"Hang on I need to go pick up Yoki," Mizu skipped over to an area of the hospital grounds where some patients were walking around.

"Yoki...?" Gaara trailed off as he saw the lion lounging under a large shade tree. "W-what is this?"

The lion raised his large head and peered at Gaara with wise eyes.

"Officially my pet but unofficially my best friend. Say hi Yoki," Mizu put a gentle hand on the beast head.

Gaara looked to the woman and doubted her sanity.

"Boy, you harbor a spirt," Yoki spoke so only Mizu and Gaara could hear.

Gaara didn't jump but looked at the beast a little shocked.

"Spirt?" he managed to find his voice.

"Yes, I can sense it. You harbor a spirt do you not? A sand one," the lion looked at him knowingly.

Gaara's eye twitched. He cans sense Shukaku? Mizu didn't seem all that interested in their conversation as her stomach growled louder.

She looked at Gaara with large hungry eyes, "Foood."