Chapter 36: Poison

Author's Note: Hey, all. It's been a while! Life has been hectic. This is a shot chapter, but I should have another ready by Tuesday. Look forward to it! Thank you for all who are still patiently following my story.

Chapter 36:

Poison

Gaara slowly opened his eyes. He felt sluggish and his body felt numb. The attack came back to him. The Kazekage building had exploded and collapsed on them. He'd quickly covered the surrounding people with sand. However, that had given one enemy who'd concealed themselves nearby an opening. When Gaara's back was turned, the ninja snuck up and injected him with something. If they'd attacked him normally, he could have defended, but the needle had pierced his sand cloak. I feel like I'm going to throw up. What was in that injection? My chakra feels suppressed too.

He checked his surroundings and found himself in a small metal cell. His hands were in cased in metal shackles to prevent him from controlling sand. Not that there was any sand in the fully metal and immaculate prison. His sand cloak was gone as well. They bound the rest of him to a chair. This cell... It's like they designed it just to hold me.

"Are you awake now, Lord Kazekage?"

Gaara turned to the familiar voice. He found Kitsune in a ninja outfit with her long black hair tied up into a slick pony tail. This time her face wasn't pasted with makeup. She was sitting in a chair across from him, looking too relaxed for a kidnapper. Her black eyes filled with glee and she was smiling at him triumphantly.

"I sea." Gaara paused, he couldn't control his mouth very well. Kitsune snorted at this. She's enjoying this. His eyes narrowed, and he tried again, "I see. So, Yama wants war."

She laughed. "We could have done it differently. If you had let me seduce you, then I could have peacefully convinced you to lean in our favor. Yet, it seems you really only have eyes for that woman. It would have been easier and more peaceful too if you'd let us take her to bargain with when you still needed the cure. Oops. I mean, if you'd let those random ninjas take her."

She's being too loose lipped. He glared at her, trying to understand the sense of foreboding he was getting. "Why has Yama declared war?"

"Land, of course. We live in the mountains where plants won't take and you live in the desert where little will grow. Your village was always stronger. So, the arable land in between our countries always went to you while our people starved." Kitsune stood up. She walked over to a table and picked up a syringe. "But you've got one thing wrong, Lord Kazekage. We didn't declare war unprovoked. You all did."

"What are you talking about?"

She stuck the syringe into a vile with yellow liquid and sucked it up. "Do you know where you're at, Lord Kazekage?"

Gaara looked around the room for a clue. I don't think I was out very long. So, maybe the research center on the border of Yama and Land of Wind? But why would she bring me here and not further into Yama? Once my people figure out where I'm at, they can easily send a squad to get me back.

"Have you figured it out? You're in Yama right now at our research center. Tell me, Lord Kazekage, you carry a monster within you, don't you?" Kitsune grinned.

He didn't respond. How do they know about Shukaku? I suppose it's possible some information leaked after the great war...

"What if you turned into that monster and rampaged in Yama? What if you attacked our research center? We certainly didn't provoke that attack. How do you think the world would view that? How many alliances would you lose because of it? I wonder how your village, still recovering after the great war, would fair in a battle if they lost their allies?"

His mouth twitched, and his voice came out a growl. "You kidnapped me and you think you can spin a story like that?"

"Kidnapped? Who? I don't know who took you from your village? And I doubt you'll find them." She grinned. "So, if we didn't kidnap you, then why would you attack us?"

"It would be my word against yours on the kidnapping. Who do you think people will believe?" Gaara growled.

Her eyes twinkled as she waved the syringe around. "Oh, dear. But you won't be around to give anyone your word. You know, we weren't lying when we said this was a research facility. I'm curious, how long you'll last before you transform. I'm even more curious. How long you'll last until you die? Well, shall we find out?"

He struggled against his bonds, but he was bound too tightly. In one swift movement, she injected the yellow liquid into his arm. It only took a second for a burning sensation to make its way from the injection sight to his shoulder and up his neck. The pain was excruciating. It was like someone had poured hot magma on his insides.

"Oh and let's not forget this." She took out her knife and sliced off the bracelet that Mizu had given him. "I'm sure this is precious to you because that woman gifted it to you, but you'll just have to deal with it."

How does she know about that? How many spies are in the village!

"Ahg." Gaara's body spasmed and foam came out of his mouth.

Kitsune chuckled and left the room, locking him in. Before she closed the door, she sneered at him and said, "Goodbye, Lord Kazekage."

The pain was ripping through to his very core.

"Kekekeke! Finally! That stupid ward is gone. What's this? Kekekeke are you dying right now?"

No. Gaara coughed, and blood splattered onto the floor.

"Just give up. You're going to die, anyway." Shukaku's voice came clearly through into his mind.

No! Mizu...