Chapter 15 Terms and Conditions

Gaara donned his Kazekage robe and hat and followed Temari across the village. He left Mizu to sleep against Yoki. Many of the villagers stopped and stared, it wasn't every day he went out in formal attire. I will need every card I have, this deal... What do they want? Walking into the Kazekage building he entered the council room decorated with a simple large round table. The elders of his village were sitting on one side and judging by their looks, they were also apprehensive of what was to come. A woman in a long flowing green kimono and traditional white makeup stood up when he entered. She and her ninja guard bowed.

   "Thank you for seeing us, Lord Kazekage. I'm Kitsune, representative of the Yama village," She gave him a superior smile and held out her hand.

   Gaara kept his face neutral, but his rage seethed beneath the surface. As he took her hand Shukaku shouted in his head "Kill her." Quiet!The woman put her sleeve over her mouth and batted her eyelashes at him. Is she making fun of me? He remained calm and took his seat.

   "What can we do for our neighbor?" Gaara asked. It took his full control not to spit out the last word.

   "We've come to offer our assistance. We've heard of your plights with this virus and wished to offer aid." She smiled and lowered her eyes slightly.

   "How kind." Gaara could feel his sand moving under the table, itching to crush this woman's legs. "And how do you plan on doing that?"

   "We've recently acquired some ingredients I believe is used to make the cure. We'd be more than happy to sell them to you." Kitsune's face didn't change, she kept smiling like a good little business woman.

   "I see..." Gaara's sand inched her way under the table and he had to will it back.

   "What are your terms of purchase?" One elder, an older man called Sabaku, and one of the few Gaara thought had any sense, interjected.

   Kitsune's mouth twitched slightly, but she kept on smiling. "Perhaps you would like to confirm the quality of the ingredients first?"

   "Indeed, we'll have to make sure you have what we need first before buying anything." Gaara put his chin on his hands and stared at the woman hard. She didn't waver under his gaze. "If we find they are what we need, what do you want for them?"

   The woman hid her lips again and chuckled. "Nothing much, we are interested in the land up north near the cliffs. Do you know of it?"

   Figured.

   Sabaku interrupted, "We cannot give you that land. We've discussed this multiple times with your village prior—."

   "If those terms are unacceptable, we would be willing to trade for something else." She put a seductive finger to her lips and lowered her eyes. Not once had she looked anywhere but Gaara. He could feel Temari's blood lust from over in the corner. The rest of the elders looked surprised at this sudden new offer.

   "And what is it you're willing to trade instead?" Gaara kept his voice level, but he felt uneasy about this.

   Kitsune tilted her head. "There is a traveling herbalist that came to this village recently, do you know her?"

   Gaara's heart stopped and his sand swirled around his feet. Wait, then all the times they attacked Mizu... It wasn't to get at me? Kitsune's smiled deepened. The elders looked around at one another.

   "You want the herbalist?" One of the other elders finally spoke up.

   "Yes, we'll trade for her." Kitsune's demeanor grew triumphant.