Chapter Eighteen

"What if it was something bad.. You said it yourself that he wasn't in the brightest moods.. "

"It's going to be fine" Tess said slightly shaking her shoulders but, Maya remained unruffled.

Tess stood up and began doing some stretching, and a few sit ups..

"You work out?"

"Not quite.. " She replied short of breath.. "But tomorrow is Saturday and I have Judo classes... You'll be here right?"
She asked panting.

"I don't know.. Can I really stay here without you.. Lack of communication, between I and Nona, your brothers... "

"But you have to learn Spanish.. From Nona all you just have to do is prepare one meal with her.. My brothers Uhmm.. Well... Just try not to be in sight."

"What if I break your washing machine... " Maya spoke up after some minutes of Silence..

"Maya!!"

"It's just a thought.. "

"Well... Stop thinking... You know the night is still young, well middle aged now" They giggled yet again..

"What I mean is there is still so much fun to do.. Like.. Uhmm we haven't painted our nails yet.. "

***

(Door Knocks)

"Who's that"

"It's me... Sofia"

"Come in.. You're still up?" Daniel asked as she wriggled through the door..

"I could barely sleep.. "

Wow... She's missing me already..

"Come... Sit over here.. "

Sofia dragged herself over, and sat on the marine blue coloured bed cover of her brother...

"So you're leaving.. "

"Yes just.. Packing up some stuffs.. "

"For real?.. "

"For real..."

He noticed his sister look a bit pale. She wasn't the usual kid that would miss anyone but Daniel felt for sure, that she did then..

"You promised to give me a treat before going..."

"I knew I was going to leave this morning... There was no time to give you a treat... "

"Then you give me something else say your iPad.. Mum says I'm too young to have one" She says, air quoting the too small.

"Sure it's yours.. "

"Great, bye..." She said heading for the door..

"Aren't you going to give me a good night hug or tell me you'd miss me?"

"You wish.. " She said and closed the door shut..

Daniel smiled.. That was the sister he knew, the one that hid emotions.. He quickly stuffed in a few clothing and shoes and arranged them in a pile. He'd be set to move the following morning.

One part of him was extremely worn out and exhausted from the day's work... He thought about Maya again, like he always did when his mind wandered about.. He wondered if she read the note... Maybe she did, but stopped caring long enough to worry about his leaving.. He slowly diverted his thoughts to Abigail... He didn't want to believe her make believe story about returning.. He knew that it was mostly because of him, that she returned and now he was leaving...

He thought about the next day, his escort was to be Coach Ryan. Daniel remembered how he was led into the Principal's office and made to narrate his sudden change of mind.