Chapter Six

Back at Hallmark High, things had taken a dramatic turn. Daniel had been released from the hospital but was given a cast to put on till he got better.

Everyone had written good notes to wish him well, and even with his injury, he still managed to do a little this and that with his football.

Besides that, the campaign for the next annual King and Queen Awards Night was intense. The Student Body President Campaign, too, wasn't cast aside. It was an annual shift, but somehow, some people got to dominate and be voted in every single year. Some of such were the incumbent office holders, particularly Patricia Gustavo she had been voted in for five consecutive tenures, she had also gotten several awards on academic, leadership and even though she didn't look it, she was quite philanthropic.

She had managed to wrangle the post for five years, and as such, some people didn't see it necessary to campaign for that any more.

Maya had long awaited her test scripts and it was to be shared the next period. They had had a combined chemistry class, as their teacher had been ill. Mr. Winston, his representative, had given both classes a practical to perform, and as he excused himself, all the attention immediately went back to Daniel. Some of them had signed his cast, but now he wasn't looking at the numerous faces that were now so glued to his, but on someone else, someone extremely pretty, by the way. Of course, he had seen prettier; This was someone most girls would have killed for. Probably, he wanted her attention, to sign his cast or maybe just a little hello at least. He was back to school after being away for so long, but no, he didn't get any. Instead, after the lesson was over, Maya gently piled up her textbooks and headed back to her class unnoticed.

❇❇❇

"Here you go Owen, Brad, Stephine, Nicole, Tess, great job once again, Brock, Phillip, Joyner, Allie, Josh, Zack, Kira, Taylor, Mia, Maya... Maya, may I have a word with you?" Mrs. Heather said as she distributed and handed over the test scripts.

Not again... Not again!

Maybe she wanted to specially congratulate me, for an amazing performance....
Nah Tess probably scored a hundred, and she hadn't requested to meet her privately. This isn't good.

Maya said to the much of her hearing only, of course. She had staggered towards the teacher's seat. The rest of the class had left for recess.

"Maya, did you understand my last topic?" She began, taking off her glasses. Maya replied in the affirmative before she spoke again.

"Well, you really performed poorly, and this is your first test. I want to help you. How can I? I mean to begin with, your words are just scribbled upon each other, it deafens clarity. You need to work on that, too. I'll expect better next time alright?" Maya had appreciated the effort and head bent, she went to the cafe. That smile, the way she comforted was something likened to the treatment Maya receives from her mother. Perhaps she actually needed a pair of glasses it might just be...

"Excuse me!" A voice called out from behind, suddenly drawing her out from the temporary ocean of oblivion.

"Excuse me, I think you are with my book." The voice said coming closer.

"Hi, I am not quite sure what you are referring to." Maya replied perplexed.

"Hi, we might have accidentally exchanged books, whilst in the laboratory. Please, may I have a look?"

"That's absurd. I'm certain that I am with mine." she searched and saw the name Daniel Bryant, boldly inscribed on the front cover.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know how this happened. I am sure I had mine earlier." She replied exchanging textbooks with him.

"Yea it's cool. You will come for the awards, right?" Daniel replied suddenly too fast and blunt.

"Yes, I suppose. Your hand, it's broken." She observed.

"It was just a mere dislocation, Miss Maya." He turned and left.

That turned out weird quite fast.

She was certain that she had been with her textbook.

Earlier that day...

"Hey Dan, it's so good to have you back bro." Jack had hurried close and had given Daniel a welcoming brotherly hug.

"It feels so good to be back to school, too." Daniel replied. Jack had, on his part, regularly checked on Daniel while he was at the hospital.

They were at the hallway, and it happened again. Maya had passed again, and not even a glance towards his direction.

He wanted nothing more but a mere acknowledgement of his presence will do. He wanted her to be among the numerous girls, requesting to sign his cast. He wanted such attention from her, but why her though?

"Hey kiddo, stop staring. If want you what doesn't seem to notice you, maybe it's time you make it." Jack said, giving a very sheepish grin.

That could only mean two things, perhaps he was thinking aloud, or maybe Jack had super powers of reading minds. Either ways, he was glad to be back. He was the one who had imprinted the idea of exchanging the textbooks, thereby creating room for a proper conversation. Daniel had,of course, bluntly refused the help initially but stumbled on the possibility of an opportunity and took the risk. Needless to say, it turned out well...

❇❇❇

"How do I look in these?" Allie asked from the other end of the class. Allie was alone in the class with Mia and Kira until Maya entered.

"You look stunning." They chorused in unison.

"I haven't even made up yet." Allie beamed.

"Well then, one can only imagine how stunning you would look." Kira commented with a smile.

"Friday is going to be an amazing night because I'll be Queen once again as I have always been. I should probably go shopping today." Allie thought aloud.

"Didn't you go shopping yesterday?" Mia asked.

"Silly Mia. I'm trying to make you trend in the world of fashion. Clothes are not to be repeated. You need to look good by occasionally changing your appearance like I do." She had replied.

Maya overheard their conversation and wondered if she actually gets weary of her constant self appraisal. She had taken out her American History test script out again and stared blankly on the boldly written "F". Everyone was talking about the awards night, but she pondered about her grade and how poor it was.

"Now that Daniel is back, he would be my King again... "

Daniel... The name was mentioned yet again. He had asked her to go to the Awards night with him but had apparently asked another.

"What do I care? I wasn't brought to this school to attend parties. I need to raise my grades up. Not going anyways..." She replied Inadvertently tearing her test script, she stumped out of the class.