Chapter Four

"Hey, what's going on? Why's the class so rowdy?" Maya asked, speaking to no one in particular, turning sideways and observing the disorganized terrain.

"We are making cards for Daniel." She was replied by Mia Turner, a fellow classmate, who she had just passively gotten to know.

Everyone had an individual 'Get well soon' card, and the class had collectively made another. That wasn't his class, but the love and fame he had been able to attract to himself was immeasurable. Even teachers visited him occasionally.

The announcement of the best footballer of that year was to commence in a week. Scott had anticipated that day with every drawing second and had no doubts he was going to take the title home this time.

Maya intended making a card too for the sick captain, but she had later waived off the idea.

He probably didn't know her, and besides with the numerous gifts he was to receive, her's would be by far negligible.

"OK, students, get back to your seats." Mrs. Heather instructed.

"Due to the festival, we missed a lot, so you need to be attentive, as the tests would begin soon enough." She added.

Striding to and fro to get her light pen, she headed for the board.

"We have a new student in our midst, Miss Maya Anderson. She's been here for a while, and you all need to be nice to her." She concluded and commenced her teaching.

"Today we would be looking at non-violence, and the commitment to a non violent approach." She began and turned on the class system which was already connected to the projector, and references showed up.

Maya though sitting in the front row couldn't place the words well. Was it 'Ma....tma' she saw or? There were letters in between, but she wasn't certain.

"Oh Mahatma Gandhi!" she exclaimed, silently of course.

She figured out, if it had to be about peace, he was a driving force behind that. She took down most things, based on assumption.

"Here we have Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Junior. They each had their own opinions and they stood by it. Both rightly stood against violence..."

"There are many causes I would die for, there is not one I would kill for" - Mahatma Gandhi

"Do to us what you will and we shall continue to love you"- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"So, non violence comes first in India under Gandhi, and then later here in the United States under Dr. King and others as a means of achieving civil rights, but what makes non-violence so radical is the unwavering commitment to a non violent approach. Not just initially, but in the face of persecution, by the opposing force. Both men... " Just then the bell for recess rang, and each stood up to leave.

"On Monday, we will look at individual rights of the last century. Have a great weekend!" She called out.

Maya stood up and went to the restroom where she washed up her face and was interrupted by a group of girls which she believed she had seen as part of the cheer squad.

"I believe this is yours." One said handing over a book.

"Yes it is. Did you..?" Maya asked.

"Oh yeah, I took a quick peek. I needed to know what it was. I'm Allie, the head cheerleader and the School's Queen for last year and this year because obviously no one can beat this pretty face." She said as she smiled.

She introduced herself. Although she got weary of doing the same thing over and over again, she had no choice.

Tess, being the vice president of the Students body, had a lot to dispense. She was hardly ever seen as she filed and accessed tons of documents along side the president in the principal's office. Occasionally, she missed classes.

Despite the pressure from work, studies, and cheerleading, she always came out with distinctions and carried an inseparable smile on her ever ready face. Their Student Body President (Male) had left the school shortly after inception. The responsibility however had been bestowed on Scott, the vice, till an election took place.

While still at recess, Maya sat quietly on one of the Cafe chairs and slowly dug into her lettuce filled hamburger.

She had sat for a while alone until a cluster of others came by. One of which was Jack.

"Do you like our food?" He asked after a brief moment of silence.

"The food's great." She muttered nearly choking.

Over the time, Maya had made a few friends. She had grown being reserved, and also because she grew up not having much friends. Luckily, most people hadn't noticed her poor literacy skills yet, but sooner or later, they should.

"Hey, hey, hey!!"

"Scott!" Maya called out.

"I'm sorry I haven't had the opportunity to say congratulations on your team's success." She said.

Now he had taken a seat opposite her and took off his Jacket. It was tiresome having to coat one's self, as the school's dress code demanded.

"Yeah, it's no big deal." He replied taking a mouth full of his burger all at once.

He ate loudly and his teeth chattered as he did. Of course, Maya wasn't one to pin point facts as such. She just stared smiling before adding.

"How's your teammate, Daniel? I heard he had a dislocation." She asked calmly.

"He should be fine, with all the love showered on him he would be better soon." He replied disinterested.

"By the way, I hope you love it here. As the Student Body Representative, it's my duty to ensure you are comfortable."

"I sure am." She replied in between chuckles.

Just then, the bell for resumption of classes took off.

It had roughly been a month since she begun schooling there. Due to the security cameras fixed at strategic positions, the rate of misbehavior dropped by a greater percent.

Before that initiative was brought about, they usually had rap contests and music performances whenever a teacher was absent because, let's face it, all hard work deserves some moments of play, but since after the security cameras and routine visits by the principal, everyone had become studious as informal talks were forbidden, and punishment for such was sadly a detention.

However, during one of the absent teacher moments, something alluring occurred. Maya had glued herself to one of the textbooks she had received and didn't notice anything until it happened.

They had planned to seal up the cameras of their class, with a temporary coverage, until they had done their rap contest.

Joyner one of the members of that class, was a frontier to that plan. Shortly afterwards, they had executed it just as planned. One person was to stay outside, to send a signal the others inside, when anyone approached.

After this was established, they began their singing. Maya only looked up when she heard songs and immediately realized what was going on.

She had giggled a couple of times at some sonorous voices that echoed about the room. Maya too had been a fan of music, but she wasn't even conceiving the thoughts of singing on such a platform.

All seemed to be going well, until the principal magically appeared from the rear. In their naivety, they had covered the camera, but it wasn't sound proof.

He stood until he was sure everyone had noticed his presence before giving the whole class an overtime detention. No going home, until the whole storage room was clean.

The storage room was an allocation for used and worn out equipments, some dusty, some rusty.

"Oh My!" Maya gasped. She immediately called home to inform them of the detention.