I inhale a deep breath. "Do you know?" He doesn't answer immediately, fidgeting almost nervously with his fingers on his lap.

He raises his gaze to look me directly in the eye. "Know what?"

So maybe he doesn't know. Of course he wouldn't. Edmund would never have let Emily's disappearance get out now, not after he hurt me and kicked me out. It would be too suspicious, with a high possibility of ruining his perfect reputation. He'd do anything to protect his public image.

"You guys alright?"

Simultaneously, we both look towards Becca, who now lies face up as she stretches her arms and legs, arching her back in the process. She turns to face us with a questioning expression when she sees our identical uncomfortable stances.

Alec is the first to respond, clearing his throat and attempting to relax his tense shoulders. "Yeah, I was just asking Ria if she needed anything."

She pushes herself up into a sitting position, giving me a once over. She wears an expression of disgust as she does so, eyeing my injuries, her gaze lingering on my swollen and throbbing cheek. "Jeez Ria. You look like shit."

Sighing, I shake my head. "Thanks. I didn't know."

"Just pointing out the facts girly. How about I get some pills for you and then you can tell us what happened, yeah?" She asks, sending me a friendly wink before standing and walking across the room.

"Yeah. Sounds good."

*****

"So wait, Ed did all this? What the hell for?!" Becca slams her fork down on the kitchen table, her blue eyes darkening as a scowl finds it's way to her lips. All the time that we've been eating, my insides have been stuck in a permanent turmoil of non-stop emotions and thoughts, debating whether or not to tell them about Emily. If Edmund hasn't said anything yet, clearly it would mean trouble for me and potentially Emily if people find out. I know that someone should go to the police for help, yet I haven't quite worked out how to get around the whole issue with Edmund. I don't want the police knowing what he did to me yet. It would only make complications, setting back the most important thing; finding my sister. We might not always get along, but without her constant whining and pointless complaining, things don't feel right.

Deciding that I have known these two long enough to trust them, I tell them everything. About Emily, about Edmund slapping me the night before she disappeared, and about the chemically scented rag Diana and I found in her room. They each listen intently, Becca a little moreso, her fists clenching on the table and her remaining dessert forgotten while Alec's still remains untouched. I warn them not to say anything about it to anyone yet, making sure that they both know I have more thinking to do beforehand. They each hesitate to agree, Alec's jaw clenching as he mulls over everything I have mentioned, but eventually they comply with my wishes, understanding why I still need a little time.

Once I finish talking, I inspect the both of them, watching their reactions unfold. Becca is plain fuming, glaring murderously at her dessert with her knife clutched so tightly her knuckles are turning white. It's obvious that her control hangs on by a thread, the tight fists of her hands quaking ever so slightly. Anger seeps into her irises, causing them to appear unnaturally dark - almost purple? - in the limited lighting. Alec on the other hand has not stopped fidgeting with his fingers, not once looking up from his still as of yet untouched food. I understand that the idea of keeping my injuries away from others makes them both uncomfortable, but I need him to get over his protective side. I'll live. Emily is more important right now.

Noticing him clench his jaw again, I reach over the table, placing my hand gently on top of his to get his attention. "You ok?"

He sighs, lifting his other hand and running it through his ruffled hair. "I guess. I just hope he knows he's gonna lose his balls if he touches you again." I giggle, drawing my hand back onto my lap while noticing Becca's grimace.

"What balls?" She asks, with a completely serious, slightly disgusted expression. "He'd have to be a man to have 'em."

"True. A man who hits a woman is no man." Taking a swig of water, Alec again runs his hand through his hair, messing it up and giving off a now more relaxed aura.

"No brother. That's where your wrong." We both turn to Becca expectantly, silently questioning her disagreement. "Well you can't be expected not to slap a bitch all the time."

I laugh softly. She has a point. Then again, it's probably because she also has had to deal with one of Alec's ex girlfriends that he couldn't seem to get rid of himself. I'm not sure exactly what happened between them, but I recall seeing her stagger out of their house with a black eye and a split lip before getting into the car of what appeared to be another boyfriend, Becca giving her the finger through the window. Protectiveness has always been a family trait for them.

Placing down her knife, Becca clears her throat and stands, taking my painkillers from the countertop and tossing them to me. "Time for more. You can have water or there's iced tea in the fridge if you want some." I nod, standing up myself and handing her my plate as she clears the table around Alec, who seems to have just noticed the presence of his now cold dessert.

Stepping around him, I make my way to the fridge with the box of tablets in my hand. Opening it up, I notice that it is filled with multiple black flasks and bottles, with no indication of what is what. There was a few earlier, but I don't recall there being so many, and I couldn't see their contents through them. Sighing, I turn back to Alec, not wanting to open up multiple bottles repeatedly. "Which one's the iced tea in?"

Abruptly, he gets up, his cutlery clattering on his plate as he nearly knocks over his chair. He hurries over to the fridge and pushes me gently out of the way, reaching up and pulling out a small, light green pitcher before handing it to me and shutting the fridge door a little to forcibly. Sending me a quick smile, he quickly sits back down, picking up his cutlery and continues eating, as if he didn't stop in the first place. His shoulders appear tense again, his back and neck completely rigid. I hope he's not still uncomfortable with what I've asked of them.

*****

Narration

"What are you doing!"

Sighing, he turns to his previous accomplice, his patience running on a tight leash. The boy glares towards him and the girl he clutches in his arms. "What?"

Judgmentally, the boy crosses his arms, his quivering posture and clenching fists betraying his act of confidence as he tenses up in uncertainty. "We are supposed to take her to the boss."

Ignoring the hoarse voice, he turns with the girl, twisting the door handle carefully.

"Hey! Where are you going?" The boy grabs hold of the man's arm.

Growling, the man kicks him in the groin and follows it up with one in the stomach, pushing the boy back so that he lands heavily on the tiled floor. "You can tell the fucker whatever you want, leach. Just be sure to give him my regards when he shows up."

And with that, he takes his leave, the girl locked firmly in his grasp.

Author's note

So we're already further than I normally get writing stuff 😂

Don't forget to tell me what you think about the newest additions...

★Please vote & comment★